You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-12-2023 13:35:17  #1

Brosette Portable...

The Brosette portable only gets 1 mention here on the TT Forum and that is just in a WTS sales list with many other machines offered for sale some years ago.

I was curious and found these informative read on the Interweb about the Brosette machine and its company history :

https://www.retrotechgeneva.net/2010/07/brosette-silver-portable-manual.html
http://www.willdavis.org/Brosette.html
https://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/search?q=Brosette

16-12-2023 13:42:05  #2

Re: Brosette Portable...

16-12-2023 15:11:17  #3

Hi Pete, what a coincidence, I just bought one this week. Today I serviced the machine, it's an early model from 1954 (serial 14791). First impression is positive, because of its build quality, looks and most of all its quirks. The margin rack is attached to the body, the paper support doubles as a lever for the paper release and there's no bell. The type action reminds me on the Halberg/Royalite (it has the same weak return of the type bars) but it's much smoother. The ribbon cover does obstruct the line just typed. Color selector is for black or stencil. The margin release is activated by a lever on the carriage in stead of a button on the keyboard. Something I have never seen: the shift lock key is a regular key, but without label and placed 90 degree rotated. Although the Brosette has at least  one design flaw (the ribbon cover obstructing the type) and works a bit different compared to many other machines, it definitely appeals to me.

17-12-2023 07:54:14  #4

Hi Laurenz,

Thanks for your inputs.

Would placing the Brosette on a bit of an inclined surface help with seeing the typed-line ?

17-12-2023 08:18:00  #5

Pete E. wrote:

Would placing the Brosette on a bit of an inclined surface help with seeing the typed-line ?

Unfortunately not. I need to bend over quite a bit to see the entire line of type. See the two images below. 

17-12-2023 08:41:48  #6

Here are a few more pictures to illustrate my first post.

The shift lock key. It looks a bit smaller than the rest of the keys on this picture, but it is exactly the same.

The paper release is operated by the wire frame paper support. The paper release can be activated by pressing down the paper support.

The Brosette has a slightly larger footprint than the Baby/Rocket.

The machine weighs 4.1 kg/9 lbs and feels slightly more rugged than the Olympia SF.

18-12-2023 16:47:09  #7

Laurenz,

As I read some comments of Owners in the TWDB galleries, I see that the margin set/stops are backwards...right one sets the left margin and vice versa.

It is also difficult to find one with a QWERTY layout...which keeps me out of the chase.

I think my Swiss Junior from 1960 may keep my appetite sated.

19-12-2023 13:28:20  #8

Yes, the margins are odd and I really needed some time to get accustomed to the system. But because I am not freaquently changing my margins it's not a big issue.

I am confident the Swissa will do great, in my experience it's an excellent small portable. Compared to the Brosette the Swissa is a luxurious machine. 

20-12-2023 10:35:03  #9

The funny thing about my Swissa.

The adjustment of the 2 alignment screws on the machine has such a small range of "perfect" to "out of alignment"...that the task occupied over 1.5 hours of my time to get it just right.

Board footera