You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-12-2023 10:19:31  #1

Broken type-bar impact spring importance?

I am not sure the proper term for a wire spring attached to a vibrator to lessen the impact of the type slug on the platen.  I just acquired a Brother Charger 11 with one of these that came broken.  In my mind it seems to type fine without it.  I looked at my limited collection and found two of my typers, the Galaxie 12 and the Olivetti Studio 45 do not even have these installed.  Most of my other typewriters have them.  It is not something I ever thought about before but I wonder how important they are and what their function truly is? Prevent ghosting?

24-12-2023 08:28:32  #2

Re: Broken type-bar impact spring importance?

Martin,

Just a WAG on my part...but maybe a way to "cushion" the impact of the type-slug hitting the platen...???

BTW...seems like a fairly easy spring to form out of some new piano wire...

24-12-2023 13:40:36  #3

Pete:  Do you offhand know what gauge the wire is?  I would think it is a heavy gauge. I tried a small paper clip but was a wee bit short and it was thicker than the one on the Charger.

24-12-2023 16:25:43  #4

Martin,

Sorry I do not.

Maybe if the 2 retention screws are still with your machine, you might be able to approximate the gauge you need from the photo.

My local hobby & model shop has assorted packages of various gauges of "music wire" all in 12" lenght or they also sell it by a longer coiled offering.

26-12-2023 16:41:44  #5

I found some wire at the Harbor Freight store and while a tad thicker, I was able to reform it to the approximate shape of the original.  It's a bit tedious but I managed somehow. It seems to work.   Frankly not real convinced it is necessary but it only cost a dollar. One video I saw about Brother JP-1's is that some people remove these anyway because they thought it contributed to a "tinny sound".  I don't hear any difference.

Board footera