You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2024 06:14:07  #11

Re: Which suppliers for ink ribbons ?

Hello
I saw that ribbonsunlimited.com has increased its prices !
There was 7/16 ribbon for $7.50 and it went to $10...

Also, I contacted Lanie three days ago, and no response, how long does their it take on average to respond ?

And also, anyone knows zentypewriters.com ?

20-3-2024 20:46:21  #12

Oliver,

They only seem to offer nylon ribbon.

Their 10M lengths is just under 11 yards in length.  Other sellers have 16-18 yards on 2" diameter spools.

21-3-2024 08:14:00  #13

Pete E. have you placed an order with zentypewriters.com to know this ?
And how long does it usually take for ribbonsunlimited.com to respond to emails ?

21-3-2024 11:36:45  #14

Have not ordered.  It does not make sense to buy from the UK when we have suppliers here in the States.

From their web site that indicate length to be only 10M long and they only list nylon as their ribbon material.  No other choices.

21-3-2024 11:44:39  #15

And so, who do you get your ink ribbons from ?

21-3-2024 12:34:23  #16

Ribbons Unlimited...I use silk except when I want a crazy colour that is only offered by them in nylon.  Like purple or sepia, etc.

21-3-2024 13:43:59  #17

I hope this will help with this question:

**Typewriter Ribbon Sources**:

FJA Products: https://www.fjaproducts.com/ , and 1 - 800 - 982 - 9989.

Baco Ribbons makes ribbons in many sizes, colors, and materials. Contact Charlene Oesch, Baco Ribbon & Supply Co., 1521 Carman Road, Ballwin,MO 63021, 314-835-9300, fax 636-394-5475, e-mail bacoribbon@sbcglobal.net.

Ribbons Unlimited, https://www.ribbonsunlimited.com/Default.asp,  or write to lanie@ribbonsunlimited.com

Tony Casillo of TTS Business Products in Garden City, NY, carries many varieties of ribbon and can advise you on the correct spool, ribbon material, etc. Call 516-489-8300 or e-mail typebar@aol.com.

Jay Respler of Advanced Business Machines Co. in New Jersey carries ribbons for virtually all typewriters: Phone 732-431-1464 after 11 AM Eastern,or e-mail jrespler@superlink.net."I offer nylon, cotton, silk, and all colors. I can get many odd sizes.I stock newer cartridges as well as older spools. I supply pictures of spools to help determine what the customer needs. We ship anywhere in the world."

Earl De Barth, of www.debarth.org, telephone number 215-855-6851, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm ET, e-mail imanager@debarth.org,has the material for the 25 mm and wider ribbons. He has no spools, so requests that the purchaser send him a spool on which to wind the new ribbon. He can sometimes provide ribbons in colors other than black or black/red. Prices vary according to length, number of ribbons purchased, etc.

TypewriterStuff: see Tony at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TypewriterStuff

Other US manufacturers are Fine Line Ribbon in Ennis, TX and Bushnell Ribbon in Santa Fe Springs, CA.. Other sources include Royal, Scantracker, ....

Of course, someone will suggest Amazon and eBay but I would rather support the guys who do the work and need the support.

In addition to the sources above, you might find some in office supply stores and you can surely find 1/2-inch-wide calculator ribbons which you can then rewind onto your typewriter spools while you're waiting for mail order ones to arrive. (If the universal ones fit OK, don't throw away the original metal spools; keep them with the typewriter or sell them to collectors.)

Be aware that calculator ribbons are usually much shorter than typewriter ribbons, so you will go through them faster, though they are great when you need them. They also tend to be more heavily inked, so they might leave smudges until they get used a little bit. To replace, before you remove the old one, just note how it is threaded (unless it's wrong to begin with). Make a diagram or photograph if you want to. Then put in the new one the same way. The two key points: the direction the ribbon comes off the spools (from the front or back of the spools), and the exact path from the spools, around various posts, and through the arms that raise and lower the ribbon while typing, called the vibrator.

Finally, if you have metal spools in there, save them. Metal spools have the period look and feel, sometimes they actually work better, and if you don't want to bother with respooling ribbon, other collectors will want to buy metal spools.

22-3-2024 05:20:05  #18

Hello
Thank you for your answers ...
Small comments on the proposed solutions:

The site www.debarth.org does not work...

www.etsy.com/shop/TypewriterStuff   the products look good, but more than $25 for a spool is just overpriced !!!

As said earlier, Ribbons Unlimited looks good, there are plenty of choices, but they don't respond to my emails, and I want them to respond before ordering...

The FJA Products site is too poorly done, I can't find anything, so I contacted them by email...

And I sent an email to the suppliers who don't have a website...

Thanks again for this list !!!

22-3-2024 10:26:44  #19

Thank you for the update. I will remove de Bath's listing.
About FJA, I'm sorry it gives you trouble; they're well regarded. Searching for "typewriter ribbon" in their search wizard give a couple dozen choices including their No. B277, which they call "Universal Typewriter Ribbon". People seem to like Baco, too.

28-3-2024 11:30:00  #20

When deciding if the $ 12-14 price for a set of plastic spools and ribbon from FJA Products is a good deal or not...

Decide if the FJA typical offering of a pair of plastic spools with ribbon of a length of only 24 ft. (i.e.8 yards) is a good comparison with the pricing of other vendors who supply 16-18 yards for their typical offerings.

I also cannot find on the FJA web site what material of ribbon is included in their price.  I assume, then, it is nylon/film and not a cloth like cotten or silk.

Board footera