You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-3-2024 09:43:09  #1

Optimal spring/belt tension

Hello
Which is the optimal spring/belt tension ?

If anyone has any ideas, tips, to know when there is too much tension or not enough...

Thanks

27-3-2024 22:32:53  #2

Re: Optimal spring/belt tension

Hi Olivier

From what I have read and gathered from some of our learned forum members, 2 pounds or 900 grams force on the carriage at mid-point seems to be an accepted norm for most typewriters. To get a true reading, the carriage rails need to be clean and correctly lubricated, and the carriage release lever tied down so the carriage is free to slide either way.

The draw tension is then measured with an accurate spring scale or balance holding the carriage at mid point of the travel. Draw tension will increase to the right hand end of the travel as the mainspring gets more tightly wound and less  towards the left hand end of travel as the spring unwinds. (The opposite will hold true if you have a machine that types from right to left, such as a Hebrew typewriter). Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-3-2024 11:33:28  #3

Re: Optimal spring/belt tension

My method is more a bit of trial & error.

I will start with 2-3 full turns of the main-spring housing as see how the carriage travels and how much force at the end of travel if I only have 1 Tab stop at the end of the carriage.

Based on what I see, I might add (or delete) a full turn or so...until I like the results.

Board footera