You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-10-2014 09:04:27  #1

NaNoWrMo

Anyone out there doing it this year? I've done it several times with a computer, but this year will be my first with a typewriter.

18-10-2014 09:19:31  #2

Re: NaNoWrMo

What is the "it" that you're referring to? I'm not familiar with the acronym that is this topic's subject, and rather than just Google it, it would be interesting to read your take on the event - assuming it is one.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-10-2014 10:27:44  #3

NaNoWriMo- National Novel Writing Month. That's about all I know about it

18-10-2014 10:45:26  #4

Well, that's more than I knew. I was hoping the OP could explain it more; I don't know what it is, but it sounds interesting none the less!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-10-2014 11:15:46  #5

National Novel Writing Month is a national, nay international event, wherein the brave sign up to crank out 50,000 words of prose in the months of November. That's 1,667 words a day. The idea is to pump out a first draft and build the habit of writing every day. The website is nanowrimo.org. Every year, a bunch of folk write their words on a typewriter, and I am set to follow suit.

19-10-2014 13:46:32  #6

I'll have to check out the website and see how it works. Thanks for creating this thread.

19-10-2014 19:23:14  #7

I'm very interested, but how do you count all those words?

19-10-2014 22:26:29  #8

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

I'm very interested, but how do you count all those words?

I use a typewriter for all my first/rough drafts and then either re-type it as a final version into a word processor, or scan a clean typed version and use OCR software to convert it to a digital file (which often is a pain in the ass). The word processor gives you a word count. However, I suppose you could also just perform a manual word count for each page, or - what I would do - is calculate the average word count for a typed page and just multiply that by the pages typed.

20-10-2014 19:13:29  #9

I draft a lot of short stuff on the typewriter, but this will be my first long piece. I am in the midst of figuring out which of my babies (more likely which two of my babies .. One at home and one at work) to commit to the task. I have an Olympia SM3 that I would love to use, but I am not sure it will be ready for prime time. I could use the SG1 or the SM9 at home, I suppose, then a Lettera 32 or a Facit at work ...

28-10-2014 09:15:41  #10

I tried doing NaNoWriMo with a typewriter last year (Corona Comet De Luxe), but was hit by illness and stopped at about 18K words. (I counted the words on the first page and then just multiplied by page numbers after that.) I also did it way back in 2001 with a computer, finished that time. I don't think I'll try this year -- I've got less free time for writing these days, plus which I've had nasty writer's block for the last 6 months or so, zero creativity going on.

Board footera