You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-10-2014 16:35:00  #1

A haunted IBM electric typewriter - what can I do?

Here's a brief video professionally produced by me, showing the 1940s IBM electric that I just acquired. As you can see in the video, it's not exactly functioning as designed. Anybody out there with more knowledge of electricity than me have any idea what's going on here? Thanks.

http://faffpics.blogspot.ca

25-10-2014 15:02:14  #2

Re: A haunted IBM electric typewriter - what can I do?

I have an 1960s IBM model D typebar electric machine. It has a large cylinder underneath. the cylinder is the one in charge of activating the typebars when you press a key. If your machine was built similarly, I'd check under it to see the adjustment of that main roller. This is a big rubber-coated cylinder activated by the electric motor, which runs permanently under the machine when it's powered on. When you press a key, the key lever gets in contact with the cylinder, which in turn throws the corresponding typebar to the platen. By adjusting this roller you can fine-tune how hard the typebars hit the platen.

By the looks of the video, I would assume that the cylinder is in a too high position, which means it connects with the key levers even when they are not being pressed, thus sending all the typebars to the anvil.

Out of curiosity, does your machine have a knob somewhere marked something like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc? In the Model D that knob is located to the left of the machine, under the keyboard frame, and it controls the location of the motor roller and thus how hard the typebars hit the platen. It was used when manifolding: the more copies you were making, the higher the number in that selector you chose. If your machine has that knob, try setting it to the LOWEST number and see what happens.

13-3-2016 22:40:05  #3

This is more a question of stuck mechanicals than electricity.  Try running each typebar by hand up to the platen one at a time until you've gotten them all and they lay flat on the type bar rest.  Then turn the machine up on its back to see how the roller cams contact the power roller.  These could be sticking too.  Brush these with charcoal starter fluid and carefully dry these off with air.  I hope this helps.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

03-4-2016 17:25:59  #4

MikeChavez wrote:

I have an 1960s IBM model D typebar electric machine. It has a large cylinder underneath. the cylinder is the one in charge of activating the typebars when you press a key. If your machine was built similarly, I'd check under it to see the adjustment of that main roller. This is a big rubber-coated cylinder activated by the electric motor, which runs permanently under the machine when it's powered on. When you press a key, the key lever gets in contact with the cylinder, which in turn throws the corresponding typebar to the platen. By adjusting this roller you can fine-tune how hard the typebars hit the platen.

By the looks of the video, I would assume that the cylinder is in a too high position, which means it connects with the key levers even when they are not being pressed, thus sending all the typebars to the anvil.

Out of curiosity, does your machine have a knob somewhere marked something like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc? In the Model D that knob is located to the left of the machine, under the keyboard frame, and it controls the location of the motor roller and thus how hard the typebars hit the platen. It was used when manifolding: the more copies you were making, the higher the number in that selector you chose. If your machine has that knob, try setting it to the LOWEST number and see what happens.

I know this is an old thread, but to the newer readers and any curiosity seekers, here's my take:   Fojambe's machine is quite a bit different in the way the impression is set.  His machine, a pre-model A, uses a speed-controlled universal brush-type motor to vary the speed of the power roller.  The models A thru D all use a one-speed induction-type motor (long been the industry standard in electric typewriters since about 1947) and a variably-adjusting cam mechanism.  I'm not sure just what the problem is in the older IBM, but the newer ones you can adjust how high or how low the cams sit in relation to the roller.  The older one looked like the cams were to the front and back, while the newer ones rest on the top.  I would look for an adjustment in how high or low the roller sits.  And, also you can vary the speed of the motor to see what you come out with also.  

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera