You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-8-2024 17:41:07  #1

FS: IBM Model D Executive proportional typewriter

$25. It's pretty close to working. I think it just needs to be cleaned and such. But I don't know anything about servicing IBM Electrics, and I choose to accept that I'm not going to figure it out. And so, as much as I loved the idea of proportionately spaced recipe cards, I'm ready to let it find a better home.
Motor works great, power roller works great, carriage return and automatic line spacer works great, tab stops work, and the machine overall is very sprightly.
Local pickup is strongly preferred because this is heavy, large, and internally fragile. I'm in Taylor County, Texas, but willing to drive up to 3 hours each way in return for a minor contribution to the gas tank fund.
I will be driving to Houston on August 20th and also to Fort Worth (it's next to Dallas) the week after. So if you're in either of those cities, I am more than willing to put this in the car and detour to bring it to you.
I will be sure to update when it's sold. So if I haven't, it's still here and waiting for you!

List of problems (aka why this is so cheap):
-Ribbon feeder is too gummed up to feed.
-This uses carbon-film ribbon and I honestly don't want to deal with special-ordering it.
-Left margin only works sporadically. Sometimes, when you press the return key, the carriage goes all the way to the end of the rail and bonks into a dead stop.
-Some of the letters don't make a good impression (see pictures).
-The line-finder mechanism (which, according to the instructions, allows you to automatically revert to a previous line after making a correction) may or may not work.
-The sound-dampening foam is, of course, crumbling away.

22-8-2024 11:45:58  #2

Re: FS: IBM Model D Executive proportional typewriter

James,

I lost the battle with my Model D IBM a year or so ago.  Finally gave it to a local IMB parts fellow who gave me a Olympia SM7 (parts machine) as a straight swap.

The Model D has a rubber-coated power roller and with years of use, each of the typebars eventually wear a "groove" into the rubber.  IBM did provide a pair of small adjustment screws for each typebar so impression can be adjusted as the rubber grooves begin to form and get deeper and deeper.

But eventually there is no more adjustment and the rubber power roller would need to be resurfaced.

My Model D IBM was about due for new rubber, but its main plastic/nylon gear (see photo) came apart in about a dozen or so pieces,  I had had enough with it and made the trade.

At the far bottom of the photo, you can see the grooves in the rubber power roller.

Board footera