You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-10-2014 16:37:51  #11

Re: NaNoWrMo

That's too bad Janet.Did you ever revisit your 2013 attempt? Did you ever do anything with your manuscript from 2001? Writer's block can be tough, some argue that you have to write your way through it, but personally I find a little alcohol and good music can help. 

I've been seriously thinking about trying this NaNoWriMo thing out, so I've already worked on the logistics given how little time is left before it starts. I just updated my OCR software to turn the typed pages into a digital Word file, and I've begun to think a little about plot and characters. As for the machine, it will definitely be a standard, and most likely a SG1. However, what will ultimately decide the typewriter is how well its typeface is read by the OCR software. Some typefaces work better than others, and equally important, the quality of the type the machine produces has to be good. That means keeping the slugs clean and putting in a fresh ribbon.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-10-2014 18:14:56  #12

I've done the OCR thing with my SG1 a few times, and it worked just fine. My SG1 -- I call it The Judge -- will likely be the machine I use when I write at home, and I will rotate through a handful of portables when I am away. There's a thread about NaNoing with a typewriter here

30-10-2014 11:51:33  #13

I will be doing NaNoWriMo this year. It will be my eleventh November writathon, but I have also done a couple of the virtual summer writing Camps too, but with much less success. November Nano is definitely the best for me. I have often used a typewriter for part of the month, but this year I will be writing on my typewriters and only typewriters, and just using an Alphasmart for write-ins, which is almost a typewriter and definitely has no internet to distract me.
I will be counting words with a click-counter for a few pages and then estimating after that if it gets too much. My Nano Name this year is A_Beetle.

01-11-2014 10:28:14  #14

I worte up a little blog poston doing NaNoWriMo with a typewriter this year.

01-11-2014 17:05:27  #15

malole wrote:

I will be doing NaNoWriMo this year. It will be my eleventh November writathon,

That is seriously impressive. I will consider it to be a minor miracle if I can make it through this one. Good luck!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-11-2014 17:34:12  #16

RWWGreene wrote:

I worte up a little blog poston doing NaNoWriMo with a typewriter this year.

Nice, and good job. I added a comment about the weight differences of one SG1 to the next. Good luck with your NaNoWriMo crusade!

15-11-2014 23:21:05  #17

Day 15 of NaNoWriMo and I just passed the 50k mark, which worked out to 163 pages of elite type. The SG1 I chose to use has been working flawlessly and its performance has just reinforced by admiration for this Olympia model. It's more than a type writer, it's a type monster! If anyone would have asked me on day 1, I would have said that I was going to stop as soon as I'd hit the goal word count, but now it looks like I'm going to have to keep going as there are at least six or seven chapters left in the story I outlined for this zany little competition and I'd like to complete a first draft of the entire book.

16-11-2014 08:37:46  #18

Congrats, Uwe. I am still plonking along, hit 25K plus yesterday, and likely will need to bring my ms. up to 70K or 80K to call it complete. My primary typed is my SG1 but I have also used as SM9, a Lettera 33 (which promptly broke), a Lettera 32, and a Studio 45.

16-11-2014 11:50:45  #19

RWWGreene wrote:

Congrats, Uwe. I am still plonking along, hit 25K plus yesterday,

You're in good shape then to complete on time.

My first idea was to use a different typewriter every day for the fun of it, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to demonstrate the durability of a good mechanical typewriter and I decided to use just one instead. When it's all over I'm going to put a sticker on the machine with my final word count as a award for its performance. I'm sure whoever becomes the next owner of this SG1 will find it an interesting bit of history.

17-11-2014 10:30:06  #20

Congratulations Uwe! I finally got an idea for something to write about, too late for NaNoWriMo. So maybe I'll do my own December version.

Board footera