You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-11-2014 13:12:33  #1

Comparing services

I am looking for feedback anyone has on both ink ribbon supply and platen refurbishing. One of the places quoted me for my Corona 3 ink ribbon at twenty dollars a ribbon and ten dollars shipping/handling per order. I find that incredibly steep when compared to other ribbon suppliers, but he goes on to cite correct thread count, et cetera, on his site. I want to know if it's worth it to buy from Robert Earl De Barth over Vintage Typewriter Shoppe, who carry a six pack of ribbons for forty dollars.

Secondly, I would like to know if anyone has experience with De Barth's platen refurbishing compared to J.J. Short. Both of them are relatively equal in price, but again, Short is a bit less. De Barth seems to have a lot more experience under his belt in regards to that, but then again, my Corona 3 is one of the most common typewriters around, so that extra experience may be superfluous in this case. What about the product itself as supplied by either one? I'm sure their formulas are different to some degree. On that note, is it possible as far as anyone knows to get a natural rubber colour platen? Or does the nature of it make that unreasonable or impossible?

19-11-2014 15:22:13  #2

Re: Comparing services

You shouldn't need to pay more than $10 for a replacement ribbon. You didn't mention where you live, but even locally (I'm in Toronto), I've found ribbon in some Staples stores. Your machine doesn't need a special ribbon, any generic typewriter ribbon will fit, so just look for a good price and go from there.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-11-2014 18:35:24  #3

I know it's the standard spool diameter, but the length of ribbon is less than standard. It's been warned in the manual that using a regular length ribbon will get things stuck like an  oversized roll of paper towels rubbing against the wall.

19-11-2014 19:29:44  #4

Trim the cheaper ribbon to fit. Or make two ribbons out of the longer ribbon.

20-11-2014 11:05:27  #5

If I am to trim it and respool, is there a tool to use for that? Or does anyone have tips for getting the winding tension right?

On another note, my backspace doesn't really backspace, but that's the only key that doesn't work 100%. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why that is?

22-11-2014 12:50:56  #6

I'm not familiar with your typewriter exactly, but you might give Baco Ribbon a call. They have excellent ribbons for a fair price, and they would probably have one for you. They have both nylon and cotton in a variety of styles. 

22-11-2014 13:11:57  #7

Qoph wrote:

If I am to trim it and respool, is there a tool to use for that? Or does anyone have tips for getting the winding tension right?

I use scissors and a cordless drill (under a minute), but used to do it by hand (around 10 minutes). And you don't need to worry about the tension - the machine will self-correct it on the first transfer of the full to empty spool.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-11-2014 15:39:22  #8

I'm still curious about the platen services, but thanks for the ribbon info, everyone.

06-12-2014 10:54:06  #9

I haven't used either platen service (DeBarth or JJ Short) but many people are reporting JJ Short does quality work on other typewriter groups. If JJ Short is less expensive anyway, then I would use them.

Rubber used in platens today is synthetic and can be colored. Some manufacturers used colored platens as original equipment years ago, either to match or contrast with the typewriter color. Although still possible, I don't think anyone still does this and black is the only color available for recovered platens. Some people have used colored heat-shrink tubing for this purpose.

-Clark

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (06-12-2014 10:59:18)

Clark

17-1-2015 16:59:27  #10

I plan to try JJ Short in the future as well. For me, with my SG1, they seem that they would be more economical that DeBarth

Board footera