You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-11-2014 17:40:26  #1

Kids React To... "typewriters"

I had to share this. It's too hilarious. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

20-11-2014 21:24:09  #2

Re: Kids React To... "typewriters"

I saw this awhile back, and I love it. I think it's too funny to show kids typewriters to show the progress of human technology. And I also love the typewriter that they had. A Remington Quiet-Riter is a suberb choice of a machine. But I think it's sad that these people that are dependent on the technology, and this is MY generation. I have to work with these people one day. And that's sorta scary. I mean, a good portion of the members on here will be retired by the time I step onto the scene. Though I will just begin my life at that point. Agh... ok, this got me depressed and paranoid of Millennials who are dependent on the Internet and brand new technology. I think I'm going to log off of the internet for a while...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

21-11-2014 00:42:56  #3

What a brilliant video!  I thought some of the younger kids were quite smart, and a couple of the older ones not so much...

Some of the pop-up information presented during it was incorrect though; for example, it's wasn't a '50s era Quiet-Riter like they stated, but an All New Personal (late '40s) era version of the machine. Also strange, the typewriter in the title photo for the video isn't the same as the one used in the video itself. But I'm nitpicking. It was a fun little video to watch and no doubt a number of new typewriter enthusiasts will have been created by it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-11-2014 23:04:46  #4

ztyper wrote:

I saw this awhile back, and I love it. I think it's too funny to show kids typewriters to show the progress of human technology. And I also love the typewriter that they had. A Remington Quiet-Riter is a suberb choice of a machine. But I think it's sad that these people that are dependent on the technology, and this is MY generation. I have to work with these people one day. And that's sorta scary. I mean, a good portion of the members on here will be retired by the time I step onto the scene. Though I will just begin my life at that point. Agh... ok, this got me depressed and paranoid of Millennials who are dependent on the Internet and brand new technology. I think I'm going to log off of the internet for a while...

Ack. My generation disgusts me too.

Neat little video, though

24-11-2014 08:18:55  #5

I tutor kids in the evening and start the lesson with a bit of a chat about how school was today etc. Last week I mentioned to one of my kids (8yrs) that I bought a typewriter. He didn't know what one was. Even after I'd explained it and done a bit of a mime. He literally had never seen one I don't think. Makes Feel Scary Old.

15-12-2014 01:19:32  #6

My kids are fascinated with the typewriters I bring home, and I've heard similar comments from friends and customers. I was even told of a doctor that put several old typewriters in his waiting room for kids to play with, and they are a great hit. I have a sense of wonder myself when I use a machine that is 100 years old and still fully functional. It seems that at least some kids feel that too.

19-12-2014 05:07:47  #7

I took my SM3 into work to show my students a few weeks ago. They were amazed and although they thought I was crazy they all had a go playing with it.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

24-12-2014 23:59:48  #8

I saw this video once before! This series can be a good laugh! In this age that we live in where vintage/retro things are often "cool", I think many kids know what a typewriter looks like/is, even if they have never seen one in real life, or even one that is not a cartoon/clip art version

25-12-2014 00:42:47  #9

Last Christmas we had some visitors with chidren aged from 10 to 15.  They wanted to play Monopoly, but two of the property cards were missing.  Clever-clogs beak disappears into office and emerges 10min later with the missing cards typed out and cloulerd in.  Kid's reaction;

HOW DID YOU DO THAT!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera