You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-11-2014 00:52:03  #1

Correction tape?

I just have a quick question. I saw a Brother Charger 11 Correction on ebay and it was a ribbon with a white strip. This is apparently correction tape. What is this correction tape? Is like whiteout on the ribbon? And does it work for all typewriters?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-11-2014 06:56:46  #2

Re: Correction tape?

Yes, it is like a dry version of Wite-Out and there were other dry correction papers; I think one was called TypeEx (sp?). These correction ribbons work the same on any typewriter that has a ribbon-color-change control that allows at least two colors, though they are usually marked "black" and "red". The white correction strip takes the place of the red. (If there is a "white" position on a three-color color-change control, it is for disabling the ribbon altogether, not for this correction ribbon.) In use, you would backspace to the error, switch the ribbon color, retype the error thus covering it up, then switch back to black ribbon and continue writing. 

Biggest point to know about these correction ribbons, though, is to avoid the accursed things! They shed sticky white flakes constantly into the mechaism and over time can cause quite a mess. They do work for their intended purpose (if there is any left at the point where you need to use it) but it is much cleaner to use a loose page of TypeEx or apply Wite-Out, even though that is a bit more work.

OTOH, if you are only using your Brother Charger II Correction for display, it would be cool to display it with its correction ribbon in place. Actual history, y'know.

22-11-2014 08:47:26  #3

Alright, well thanks forthe warning. I was just curious because it would be nice to have whiteout on the ribbon. And I wouldn't use the Brother for display. Personally, I find these machines to be... boring in looks. Not ugly, but just plain in style.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-11-2014 11:29:08  #4

Yeah, I suppose it seemed like a good idea at the time it was invented ... but in practice ...

I agree about the looks of the Chargers---utilitarian, functional, not exciting---but fortunately they are well-built and they work well. I have a Charger 11 Correction. Just put in a black/red ribbon and write away.

22-11-2014 11:42:56  #5

The correction strips are effective for covering errors and don't make quite the mess that the black/white correction ribbon does.

Clark

22-11-2014 12:45:57  #6

For typewriters with carbon ribbon, mostly only electronic typewriters, there is correction lift-off tape that actually removes the carbon from the paper. 

Board footera