You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-11-2014 10:34:42  #1

We had copy machines then?

So I was doing some research about mimeographs. My mother told me that she sometimes had to go down and turn the crank of some machines to make copies of sheets. So as it turns out, it is real. I was just curious on how to make copies. And is this what the stencil option on every typewriter is for? I just don't know anything about these machines.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-11-2014 14:35:20  #2

Re: We had copy machines then?

Yes, this is what the stencil setting is for. It disables the ribbon so it is not in the way when you type onto the special waxy paper. The key slugs then smash the wax off the paper leaving an impression of the characters. When you have typed the whole document, you mount the paper in a mimeograph (or similar--there were several slightly different technologies) machine and when you run the machine the printing fluid goes through where the characters had been typed and onto the final paper. Many of these machines were hand-cranked, unless your company or school district was rich and could buy a motorized one. Anyway the process was pretty quick.

Yep, they had copy machines way back then. And don't forget that photography and the printing press are basically copy machines, too, and have been around for almost 200 and 500 years respectively.

Please don't take offense, but I am genuinely interested--how old are you?
(OK. Fair is fair. I'm 70.)

29-11-2014 21:21:16  #3

Well, knowing your age, I'm almost embarrased to say that I'm 15. I was never around when they had mimeographs or even electric typewriters. My parents were always up to date with the new technology so I never even saw a typewriter until I as 12. But many of my friends call me old (I like to say old soul) so I should really be 80.

30-11-2014 08:36:38  #4

And oh, that mimeograph fluid! It had the most unique smell. Teachers would pass out some stuff that was freshly mimeographed, and all the kids would be sniffing the paper. If I could smell that smell again, it would completely take me back to childhood (I'm 50). 

30-11-2014 10:26:15  #5

What did the fluid smell like?

30-11-2014 14:25:10  #6

What did it smell like -- that's a good question. I'm' not sure how best to describe it. It had a sweet chemical smell; I'm trying to think of something to compare it with. You know what bubble gum smells like? It didn't exactly smell that way, but that's sort of in the ballpark -- candy-ish, without really smelling like candy. Or maybe fruit juice is a better comparison -- think of suddenly coming across a weird flavor of Kool-Aid that you never knew existed, with its own unique smell. 

30-11-2014 20:31:14  #7

Well I've never had Kool-Aid, but I think I can imagine it. Thanks!

01-12-2014 13:46:49  #8

I am 47 but went to Catholic Schools. The small schools were late adapters when it came to tech. Nearly every test or worksheet I ever did was purple. I would like to have one of these things now.

01-12-2014 17:05:23  #9

I'm thinking of getting one just so I can say to all of those who say "oh, you can only make one copy with a typewriter? How stupid" that I CAN make more than one copy. I can make 50+

05-12-2014 07:46:00  #10

I'm 38 and I remember the memeograph smell from my very early years of primary school. I remember a purple copied text and a metho smell.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

Board footera