You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-11-2014 00:20:22  #1

The Noiseless

I was curious about the Noiseless typewriter. Or really the Remington Noiseless. I was curious how "noiseless" it really is, for I'd like to use it in class for note taking since my handwriting shows no signs of improvement. And how portable the portable model really is. I currently use the Royal 200 which is about 8 pounds. So if it's around there, that'll be great.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-11-2014 12:48:27  #2

Re: The Noiseless

I don't own a "Noiseless" model myself, but I can tell you that they are probably not queit enough to use to take notes in class. I would guess that sadly, it would end up being too dissruptive. When I was in high school. they gave us the option to bring a laptop in to class to write an in-class essay. I was so tempted to bring a typewriter. Now, I'm only sorry that I didn't! 

22-11-2014 13:05:09  #3

Noiseless, Silent, and Quiet models in most cases replace the loud dry clack of the machine with a dull thud. Some machines are less noisy than others, but if you're sitting right beside someone in a classroom I doubt that they'll be appreciative of the constant thumping sound they'll have to listen to. I've done some informal testing of noiseless versus standard models with mixed results; in some cases there was an appreciable difference, and in others hardly any at all. 

http://typewriterdatabase.com/1947-remington-noiseless-model-7.3393.typewriter
http://typewriterdatabase.com/1954-smithcorona-silent.3406.typewriter

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-12-2014 12:12:19  #4

Compared to the other portable typewriters in my small collection, the Corona Silent is much quieter to my ear. I'd love to get my hands on a Remington Noiseless, but alas, expense!
For note taking, I would use a digital dictaphone type thingamajig, and then type up notes later.

Board footera