You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-1-2015 21:46:07  #1

Maybe just one more...

I have recently aquired the desire to procure an early Royal 10. The one from the 20's-30's. There is an ad on ebay for one that saw military service from the dull colour it's painted and plain look, but I was just wonder as to how these machines type? If it's anything like the Underwoods from this time, I don't think I'll go out of my way to get it (a science teacher in my school had an Underwood 6 donated to him and I of course had to take it for a spin. I felt like it was too echo-y and I almost hated the touch. Too light and tinny, like I was typing on air. Maybe it's just that particular machine, but I didn't really like it too much), maybe just buy one if our paths cross. But I would hope this machine is a good typer, since I like it's looks and history.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-1-2015 22:52:13  #2

Re: Maybe just one more...

ztyper wrote:

There is an ad on ebay for one that saw military service from the dull colour it's painted and plain look, but I was just wonder as to how these machines type?

The ebay machine was probably just repainted and rebuilt at some point. For some odd reason eBay sellers like to assume that when an old typewriter is painted in a dull color that it is military. Lacking an actual link, I can't really say much more but it is very doubtful that it is military.

I have two model 10s, so I know pretty well how they type. It's a very crude and harsh touch when you compare it to the later models Royal made. However, after a while I got used to it and I now enjoy the rough mechanical feel of them. Don't worry, in no way do these feel like air (for better or worse)! Anyway, even if you don't like how they feel a well preserved 10 looks great on display.

21-1-2015 21:24:31  #3

Alright, so I guess I won't  go out of my way to purchase this one. And besides, any more machines and I'll have to maybe sell some...  I don't think my mother will be the most considerate when I show up with another typewriter since "one is enough."

25-1-2015 19:43:12  #4

Just one more... Well ztyper, you will enjoy knowing that i've just bought two Olympias in five days! One was the little Splendid 66 with the Danish keyboard, and the other is an SM8 that I got for £5... It's in lovely nick, too. It seems very metallically clangy - I'm thinking of lining the cover with some felt - but it's amazingly fast, and after the SM3 and the Splendids, it's soooo nice to have a carriage shift!

Last edited by KatLondon (25-1-2015 19:47:03)

25-1-2015 20:39:41  #5

Darn... I haven't gotten a really nice typewriter in... a long while. The 70's SCM electric Enterprise doesn't count because it is just a curiosity of mine. And where do you get your machines? I'd do anything to get more Olympias for cheap... 

30-1-2015 05:37:04  #6

Hi z, I think I filled you in since this on a different thread - it's eBay mostly, but only local listings. The Danish splendid came off another website where people sell things, & I got if from a collector I've bought from before. It was less cheap - but cheaper than most because, I guess, of the keyboard. I have stopped now, though, you can't have a week like that very often, and I now have a couple of restoration projects to keep me busy. 

In the UK most Olympias are in the shops or on eBay with 3-digit prices. America really is the land of the cheap, compared to Europe - you guys just don't realise it because it's normal to you! I was looking on my sister's local Craigslist recently, trying to find something cute for her, and saw very few things that tempted - but I could see that the landscape was similar. It's about very patient searching, taking opportunities that seem left-field - i.e., I was not looking for a Blick - and then pouncing.

30-1-2015 23:37:27  #7

I actually should take back what I said, because on Wednesday I bought two typewriters off of ebay. A 50's Antares Parva, and a 30's Royal Arrow. In total was about $80. So that's not bad at all. I guess patience and persistance do actually pay off.

31-1-2015 21:55:43  #8

ztyper wrote:

I actually should take back what I said, because on Wednesday I bought two typewriters off of ebay. A 50's Antares Parva, and a 30's Royal Arrow. In total was about $80. So that's not bad at all. I guess patience and persistance do actually pay off.

Oooh, an Antares? I'd love to hear how it types when you get it, I've never seen one in person before.

31-1-2015 23:36:25  #9

I've never heard of it before until I saw a typewriter going for $20 while browsing of ebay. So far, a lot of keys are sticky and it has residue from a white-out ribbon. So it's fun to clean that up... But I will say this: the Antares Parva is a very simple typewriter. It has the least amount of moving parts and pieces I've ever seen. So it should type well. I'll know by Monday.

Board footera