You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-2-2015 05:07:43  #11

Re: Olympia SG3

Hahaha! I wonder what she was carrying it for... I love those incongruous moments.

And I absolutely carried it with the heavy side against me, whcih is why that paper rest would have been in the way! I'm good at balancing large heavy objects; when I was a kid I used to rearrange the furniture in my room for fun. ;)

Last edited by KatLondon (01-2-2015 05:08:47)

03-2-2015 04:09:26  #12

Dear everyone, I now need HELP. Thanks for all the suggestions re the resut - they have worked quite substantially, and the keys now move really nicely. I've been cleaning and de-rusting and de-oiling and so on... There's still a lot of gruntwork to do, but last night I felt satisfied that it was now safe to put it back together. No lost screws that way, and I could also test it for actually working.

Disaster. Replacing the carriage unit was really hard. Even the manual I downloaded is vague and just says, do what you did to take it off, in reverse. The thing weighs a ton. It took several goes to achieve the goal of both the little pins going into their holes at the right time. And every time I got one side or the other re-engaged, the carriage would go shooting off in one direction or the other. I managed to contain it and at times was even trying to wrk with a very heavy carriage that was totally un=engaged and wanted to go shooting off in one direction or the other! 

Then, WHAM, something or other happened, clicked into place, I don't know, and the whole thing went ZOOMING over to the left - and there is it now STUCK. Its position is that the middle of the machine - where the type bars hit - is the gap between the end of the platen and the bit with the knob on it. 

Ironically I have now had to take it off and put it on a dozen times.... Sometimes the backspace works and you can see the carriage moving - there's about an inch within which it will move. Sometimes the backspace then siezes up and I take it off, nand as I lift the carriage (very gently) something clicks and it is the backspace mechanism snapping back to itself. 

I don't know what any of this is SUPPOSED to look like, of course, but I can't see anything that looks different from how it did before. The space bar is making no impact on anything. 

I think it just zoomed too far over but how do I get it back???

MANY THANKS, I will post pictures later.

03-2-2015 15:20:26  #13

My first guess here is that while you are struggling with that heavy carriage, you are inadvertantly pressing the carriage release levers. That can easily explain why the carriage goes shooting off to the left; I cannot imagine what would make it shoot off to the right.  It has moved too far left, that's for sure. Look for two pieces of metal, maybe stops, that have jammed because of the greater than expected force.

The carriage does not have to be specially set up with certain parts in the exact right position before putting it back on. When you position it over those two pins, it should just drop down and then you move the locking levers and you're done. Everything should work after that. Now, though, it sounds like there might be some damage done and/or something is out of place and it will be hard to determine what. Perhaps something did get misarranged when it was out---it's a bad idea to turn wheels and push levers while it's out because the normal limits aren't holding things in position. That might be what happened to the backspace, however accidentally.

I don't think you can expect the carriage parts to work when it is out of the body, so it will be hard to figure out what is (or is not) going on. Just work on it slowly and calmly.  You shouldn't be able to get "one side or the other engaged"; if one socket is over its pin the other should be over its own pin.

I feel for ya, though. It'll be great when it's working again. HTH

04-2-2015 06:40:00  #14

Hi M Höhne, thanks for that. Well I'll have to keep going... As it happens, if you engage one pin and not another, something did seem to kick in. I was specifically trying not to hold on to the ends where the release levers are, but then you never know. It was late and I should have just left it for the morning. The problem turned out to be a stupid one, whcih was that the arms that secure the carriage in place had popped out , so the carrisge was iterally not fitting because they were in the way. It  also turns out that there is a knack to getting it into place, because it's quite hard to SEE the pins going into their holes. I can do it now but I have no one clue what is obstructing the carriage. I think whatever it is is on the inside, because when I've tried it I can't see anything moving or not moving (if that makes any sense). 

Thanks though. I'll have to see what I can do. It's so aggreavating. 

04-2-2015 07:11:00  #15

I did it!! 

Not sure if this picture shows anybody anything, but there was a little thing that is clesrly designed to stopthe carriage flying off inevent of disaster, and it had caught on it just as I imagine it was meant to do. It took a little bit of perseverance, patience, strength and a screwdriver to lever it out of the way, and et voila. 
So the issues now are;
1, the rubber has split on the paper feed roller and so it doesn't work. I managed to type a few pages on it by freeling the platen and slipping the paper in fro the front. ;)
2, the bell doesn't work. And
3, I put a red & black ribbon in and the type goes between red and black, letter by letter almost, and randomly. I'm not too bothered abotu that. There is more cleaning and re-rusting to do on the inside and one of the bits I've not yet touched is the ribbon colour lever. Iv might be just a bit weird; it feels a bit stiff. If all fails, I can just get an all-black ribbon for it.

But Uwe, you were so right. I am in LOVE. This thing is amazing! It's by far the biggest typewriter U've ever used, we didn't even have anything like it at school. It's so amazingly solid, and the really amazing thing is that a big thing like that, so far from being ungainly or clunky, makes you go so much faster! I feel like selling every portable I own. (Don't worry. I won't.)

Last edited by KatLondon (04-2-2015 09:43:20)

04-2-2015 11:23:14  #16

KatLondon wrote:

1, the rubber has split on the paper feed roller and so it doesn't work. 

Because the feed rollers are quite small, some have repaired them by using heat shrink tubing, which might be a solution for you. I think the repair has been discussed in this forum, a search should find it, and if not there's definitely examples of the repair on the internet.

KatLondon wrote:

the bell doesn't work.

That's usually the easiest repair and just involves cleaning all the pivot points for the actuating arm and bell hammer.

KatLondon wrote:

the type goes between red and black

Full red and full black? Or half and half? 

KatLondon wrote:

I feel like selling every portable I own. (Don't worry. I won't.)

I fully understand the feeling; I much prefer to use a standard over a portable when I have a lot of typing to do and I consider them to be the right tool for the job. Portables are fun because of their variety, and some type very well as a bonus, but if I was forced to reduce my collection to one machine, the last one standing would be a standard.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-2-2015 11:59:07  #17

Well, it's funny. Some of my portables are very sturdy and solid[feeling - the SM8 I got the other week is one, and the Quiet Riter (though I don't like the keys on that). But wow. I didn't see this coming! Seems like such a lot of machinery for writing on a piece of paper. I love it.

The bell is a bit of a pain, I have thee typwriters with broken bells (i think) and they all seem to not work in different ways - maybe that's for an 'Annoying bells" thread. Because if it doesn't ring, you've had it every time, haven't you.

I wasn't feeling too worried about the feed roller, because I could remember seeing this repair discussed. So thanks for backing that view up. In the meantime I have developed a little knack for puching the paper underneath at the front and through. I can get it in that way to type!

And the ink actually alternates from one leter to the net - a black letter, a red letter - it is very weird and I can't think what that's about unless it's the vibrator. 

After I wrote my last post I went and for the Splendid 33 out for a minute, just to compare. It's okay - I still love it! Phew.

04-2-2015 18:00:37  #18

KatLondon wrote:

So the issues now are;
3, I put a red & black ribbon in and the type goes between red and black, letter by letter almost, and randomly. I'm not too bothered abotu that. There is more cleaning and re-rusting to do on the inside and one of the bits I've not yet touched is the ribbon colour lever. Iv might be just a bit weird; it feels a bit stiff. If all fails, I can just get an all-black ribbon for it.
)

My first thought was that you were getting letters top half black and lower half red, which would have to do with the color selector wheel (not lever) which does have a setting for the middle of the ribbon. But I see your clarification later about it alternating colors with each letter so I don't know. Somehow something is toggling the vibrator linkages back and forth?

04-2-2015 19:19:19  #19

M. Höhne wrote:

My first thought was that you were getting letters top half black and lower half red, which would have to do with the color selector wheel (not lever) which does have a setting for the middle of the ribbon.

It sounds like you're thinking of the SG1. The SG3 has a lever, not a wheel, for the colour selector. And there isn't a mid-ribbon option; you can only select from the standard three positions (black, red, stencil).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-2-2015 21:58:14  #20

Jeez, Uwe, this is at least the second time this week that you have caught my errors. I guess it's nice that someone is reading me, but I had better shape up quick or lose any authority. How humbling!

Board footera