You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-2-2015 20:45:03  #1

Help: ribbon jumping off track

As of a few days ago I've had a very infuriating problem. 

I own a Groma Humber, an export model of the Groma Kolibri, basically it is the exact same machine with an english keyboard. I've had it for two years with minimal issues except that the margin tabs no longer hold. 

Now when I hit shift for caps the ribbon jumps (or gets pulled) out of its track. The ribbon came with the machine so I don't know how old it is. It still has ink. My only guess is that it has become old and flimsy and is easily pulled out but I don't know for sure.

I've put a paperclip on the track to help hold it in place and this has had some affect but it's only a bandaid solution. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

02-2-2015 20:51:52  #2

Re: Help: ribbon jumping off track

Hello! Welsomce to Typewriter Talk! I read on one website that sometimes silk ribbons can sometimes have a tendancy to do this since they are lighter weight. Years ago, many ribbons were often made of silk, so depending on the age of the ribbon, it may actually be silk. Someone else here may have more comments related to that model typewriter specifically, but I am not familar. Best of luck to you!

02-2-2015 23:59:17  #3

So it typed normally for two years and just now the ribbon started coming out of its "track"? I'm not sure what you mean by track. Are you talking about the vibrator, the part that moves up and down with the ribbon as you type? I assume the ribbon is correctly installed (compare your ribbon path to the one in my Humber and see if it matches). Failing that, I wonder if the ribbon spools are turning freely. Is one of the spools empty when this happens, or is there a lot of ribbon on each?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-2-2015 00:53:00  #4

The vibrator, if that's what it's called. There's plenty of ribbon on both spools. it's only an issue when I type on caps. Then the ribbon jumps out. I've found that if I just keep typing it will usually end up back in place, albeit because there's a paperclip on it so it wont jutt right out. but on occasion I have to stop and put it back into its track.

Board footera