You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-11-2014 16:51:23  #11

Re: Grinding SM-9 Carriage. Please help!

I was thinking that. But it would either a) take about 10+ years of experience to do on my own or b) a small fortune to get it done professionally. So it's fate at the moment is in limbo.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-11-2014 23:47:37  #12

A quick update on the SM-9. I got it back today and it appears to be fine. Just that it makes a clicking/clacking noise when returning the carriage. And man I missed typing on it... It's been three weeks since I last had it and I forgot what such a pleasure it is it use.

12-1-2015 21:14:04  #13

For anyone who is still out there, I fixed the zipping sound on my SM-9! It was just a little pin/wire that was not in the wrong place in the escapment and so I just pushed back into place. Now it works just fine! The teeth are still worn, but now I can use the machine in peace. I think the 'silent' carriage return mechanism was the problem. But, I fixed it.

31-1-2015 17:45:50  #14

Nice work! I would still try getting hold of another SM9 to use as a parts machine if/when this current one breaks down for good.

My blog, about typewriters,wristwatches, fountain pens, Bond, and whatever else happens to be polluting my mind at any given time;
---->   http://teeritz.blogspot.com.au

07-2-2015 21:23:10  #15

ztyper wrote:

For anyone who is still out there, I fixed the zipping sound on my SM-9! It was just a little pin/wire that was not in the wrong place in the escapment and so I just pushed back into place. Now it works just fine! The teeth are still worn, but now I can use the machine in peace. I think the 'silent' carriage return mechanism was the problem. But, I fixed it.

Any way you could show us a picture of the wire in question? My SG1 makes noise.

Thanks,

Steve

Time is something you can never get back, use it wisely.

Board footera