You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-2-2015 10:53:26  #1

New paint job?

I feel like a good chunk of my questions lately are concerning my Royal KMG... Anyways, the KMG I own is finally working, but the cosmetic condition is... less than pretty. It's a battleship grey, but with dings and scraps everywhere. I would like to paint it maybe a nice white, with gold trimming. And shine up the shiny bits too. But I can't remove the case, for the case is the body for the most part as I found out by removing the mainspring by accident. So how should I go about doing this? I have only painted one typewriter, the Royal 200, and it was with spray paint. Any advice?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

09-2-2015 20:11:52  #2

Re: New paint job?

Aww, a repaint? I'm a huge fan of character in my typewriters, ie scratches, scuffs, and general imperfections that showcase the machine's history. By just looking at the paint on a machine you know if it was used, abused, or stored in perfect shape. Often there are patches repainted, even whole sections redone, and then you know it was used enough to have worn out a first coat but reliable enough to earn a new coat of paint. I understand touching up spots on moderate to near perfect machines, but I never tamper with the paint on my well used bangers.

However, if you really thing a repaint is the best option (White with gold trim would be stunning!) the KMG would not be a good candidate at all. As you said, much of the insides are connected directly to the body. You can't simply remove a few screws and be done, this would be a very large undertaking. However, leaving the panels on the typewriter while you paint them is an even worse idea. I have a KMM that was repainted a sandy tan without being disassembled, but was not adequately covered all around. There is tan paint everywhere it shouldn't be, even though much of it was protected.

10-2-2015 16:58:54  #3

Re: New paint job?

Hmmm... Alright, you've convinced me. I just feel like it's been used (not necessaily loved because I have learned from everyone that I have talked to that used typewriters as an appliance, they nearly all hated using it and asked me why I would go back) and it probably spent 10+ years in a high school prop closet. With broken bits of glass inside it. So I thought it deserved a new coat. Bu I suppose it's scraps and scratches are like a badge on honour, proving that it lived through all of that. Yes, the paint shall stay. But I'm still going to try to remove the dirt.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera