You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2015 13:58:25  #1

1955 Royal De Luxe

This machine was working great. Cleaned and oiled, put back together, getting ready to adjust typebars and the carriage won't advance when a key is struck. The space bar works good and backspace. Main spring seems to have enough tension too. This model has a gear behind the main spring barrel that I believe can increase or decrease tension, with a lever that releases from the teeth of the gear. Nothing seems to change when the lever is clicked on or off. A bit of a puzzle to me, any info. on that would help too. Been trying to avoid tying a knot in the carriage line. That worked for me once on another machine when the carriage wouldn't avance to make the bell ring. Hoping for some advise. Tom

11-2-2015 14:06:39  #2

Re: 1955 Royal De Luxe

If the carriage advances properly to the end of its stroke by using the space bar, the problem has nothing to do with the drawband tension. The keys operate a differnt set of linkages from the space bar to actuate the escapement, and it sounds like that might be were the problem is. I would put the machine on its back panel and make sure that when you press a key that its linkages at the escapement are working. Out of curiousity, is the ribbon at the end of a spool by any chance?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2015 17:39:23  #3

Good point about the ribbon, I wish that was the case but I have no ribbon in it yet. When I strike a key then let it go the carriage won't move but will with very little pressure against the carriage. Will check the linkage like you suggested. Thanks

12-2-2015 10:54:27  #4

Everything within the linkage to the typebars seems to be working fine.The only thing I have noticed that might keep carriage from advancing is this. If you hold the carriage release and move the carriage back and forth slowly you can feel that it doesn't move real smoothly, it slows down. If the carriage is all the way to the right as far as it will go, no tabs set, and you hold carriage release lever and push slowly to the left when the carriage is about centered it will stop if you don't push harder. I'm pretty sure there is no dirt in there. It worked fine before I cleaned it!! And I kind of over oiled it just now to see if more lubrication would make a difference but it didn't. If you look in the carriage at the bearings while it's moving I can see nothing rubbing.Going to clean again and blow it out, maybe something microscopic!!??

12-2-2015 11:02:12  #5

What kind of oil did you use? Oil in a typewriter should be kept to the bare mininum and some parts should never be oiled at all. Regardless, I'd be surprised if that was the issue if the space bar is working fine and yet no key stroke will advance the carriage at all anywhere along its run. You have confirmed that when you press on a key that it the escapement reacts to it?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-2-2015 19:05:01  #6

Uwe, I used sewing machine oil sparingly, and really only on the bearings that the carriage runs on. I am relatively new to typewriter repair and I know I have a lot to learn but have a pretty good understanding of them. The escape wheel seems to do it's job with the space bar but when you strike a key it doesn't finish what it's suppose to.It won't release completely, you have to give the carriage a little pressure  and it will advance. I just keep watching the escape wheel and all the linkage over and over  to see if I can figure out why it won't work. Could I have done something while cleaning it, I don't see anything that is disconnected say by blowing it out with the compressor, and I'm pretty sure I didn't bend anything, didn't really poke around in there too much, the machine was fairly clean to start with. I guess I'm just missing something that I'm not familiar with. This is driving me nuts!

13-2-2015 09:44:13  #7

Yes, but at least you've isolated the problem. It doesn't take a lot to gum up the works of an escapement. I'd suggest cleaning it again to start, specificially the part that isn't returning on its own but will with a little added pressure on the carriage. 

13-2-2015 13:37:58  #8

Ok, will do. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Board footera