You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2015 18:14:23  #191

Re: New Member Thread

Hi, I thought it would only be polite introduce myself. This is my first post to a forum so if I have messed it up please let me know.
I don't know what attracted me to typewriters, perhaps because I liked mechanical things. Anyway I wanted one when I was ten and my Aunt took me to the Lever Typewriter Co in London and bought me a second hand portable for my birthday, showed me how to use it and gave me a book on touch typing. I became reasonably proficient at it and the machine devoured reams of paper writing poetry (complete rubbish) and short stories, even worse rubbish. At secondary school I became editor of the school magazine at 12 and at 14 my Father gave in and I was allowed to attend a minor public (read expensive, private) school for a 2 year commercial course, the same as my Aunt had attended. So, in 1961 my elderly Empire was part exchanged for a new Erika Pullman portable with all the bells and whistles for my homework which I still use. I used a variety or machines at school but when I started I was allocated a 1920's L C Smith, ironically the same as my Aunt had used in the twenties. The girls got the modern typewriters as they were to be the secretaries of tomorrow in the City. The boys were only there on sufferance because it was part of the course as was shorthand. Our roles were carved in stone in the sixties. Later, when I passed the London Chamber Elementary Certificate for 30 words per minute with honours was I allowed to use the newer machines like the Remington 66 and Smith Corona's provided it didn't inconvenience the girls who had precedence. I never set out to collect typewriters, they just kept appearing when we needed another one when I ran an accounting business with my wife. One a Hermes long carriage was the Rolls Royce of typewriters, the largest, heaviest (more than a Royal Imperial) and most expensive machine ever built. It was the only NATO approved typewriter. It did everything except make the coffee. My teenage children say I am still living in the sixties, no argument there. They do not have the same love of typewriters I have, type with two fingers on their laptops, write with ballpoint pens instead of fountain pens and use digital cameras instead of film like I still use. I fear it may be evolution in which case, judging by my childrens' handwriting we are all doomed.
I seem to have gone on a bit, sorry about that, put it down to advancing years. I am also on flickr, mainly medium format photographs shot with 1930's cameras so I am probably beyond all help, hence the name, Retro.

Last edited by retro (19-2-2015 11:29:04)

11-2-2015 20:22:02  #192

Fantastic introduction Retro. Have no fear, you're among like-minded people here!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-2-2015 14:55:56  #193

Love it! Retro, that 'carved in stone' thing was what put me off typing - I've come to it far too late. The funny thing is, I can remember being  kid and getting my mother to type things for me on her 1948 Royal, which was still going into the 70s.

14-2-2015 12:32:21  #194

I'm Magpie. I live in South Yorkshire, England, UK. I'm an artist and writer amongst other things.

I own a Silver-Reed Silverette II (which I saw in a charity shop and bought on a whim) and a Smith Corona Calypso (I think, it's currently occupied with being part of an art project.)

I have a thing for old and/or mechanical machines, and typewriters fall slap bang in the middle of that.

15-2-2015 05:30:04  #195

Hi Magpie. I'm also in the UK, which seems to be a slight rarity in the typewriter world! The first typewriter I bought was a Silverette, but it was badly packed & the carriage left unlocked, and it arrived with the ball bearings in the carriage knocked out of position. That is, broken. SO I was hooked ;)

I kee hearing about people finding typewriters in charity shops but I've never seen one, myself. Amazing. (I feel I should really be going to car boot sales...).

What's the art project?

Last edited by KatLondon (19-2-2015 08:58:02)

15-2-2015 14:06:38  #196

Nice! This one's in pretty good condition, aside from all the rubber being a bit on the hard side. Bit noisy, but a solid and reliable little thing. I remember I saw it and nearly didn't buy it, but then remembered reading in the front of a book that my favourite author (who has been so for as long as I can remember) had owned and used a Silver Reed, and that was it. I had to have it. One of my favourite purchases ever.

I've seen maybe four or five in the area near where I live in the past several years that I've been checking charity shops regularly (two of them I bought, the others were at various points on the ugly grey plastic electrical scale), so they're not all that common. The Silverette was in a larger branch of Oxfam which sold even furniture, and the mysterious Smith Corona was rather wonderfully in a books-only branch of Help the Aged. I do go round the charity shops there at least once a week now though, just in case there's a typewriter.

The theme was to do with making things out of other things, which progressed to making trees (and a few other things) out of books, since books are made from trees. The typewriter was my final piece, and is currently decoupaged in book pages and photos of leaves from magazines and has a wire tree attached to one of the ink spools (didn't come with an ink ribbon). It's in perfect working order, I made very sure not to damage it. I would remove the tree and get it working, but I don't want to end up with my project getting called for moderation and have to explain that I dismantled what's worth a quarter of the overall mark. I'll put a photo up if I can figure out how and where.

Last edited by magpie (15-2-2015 14:38:13)

15-2-2015 18:51:42  #197

Ha - yes, you don't want to do that.don't know what hapened to your name, up above! Sorry. It would be fun to see a picture of your art oroject!

Just out of curiosity, who was your favourite writer with the Silver Reed?

15-2-2015 19:00:44  #198

I'll put a photo up tomorrow, just about to go to sleep now.

The author is Garth Nix.

19-2-2015 08:58:48  #199

Garth Nix - fantasy, right? I've seen them...

19-2-2015 12:00:00  #200

Uwe wrote:

Fantastic introduction Retro. Have no fear, you're among like-minded people here!

Thanks, I had to correct an error, my first machine was an Empire, a typewriter in a tin box not an Underwood which is my latest acquisition and one that I didn't really want. I have been trying to find an Empire like the one I first had and finally found out it was a pre-war model, like the service model but with shiny black paint. I am now agonising over getting a 1950's Empire Aristocrat as I never found a pre-war one. Expensive too and I wonder what they are like to use. Does anyone know what they are like?

Board footera