You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-9-2014 13:18:41  #1

Help Please: Jamming type bars on my Silver Reed Silverette II

Firstly, can I apologise in advance. I am not familier with typewrter terminology.
I have had this machine a few months. I like it a lot: it is crisp and light. So far as I know no-one but me has used it since I got it. It was pretty well mint to me. Last week I noticed that two of the type bars were getting tangled: the += bar and the neighbouring 1/3bullet bar. The 1/3bullet is the last bar on the right; the += is next one in. When I press on the += key, that bar works fine; the bar moves towards the paper smoothly, and hits the paper ok, and drops back into place when I lift my finger tip. 
But, when I press on the 1/3bullet key there is a clear friction between the 1/3bullet slug (?..the letter itself) and the +=slug, although it does move ok, and hits the paper ok. But then when I take the pressure off the key, the lever does not return; the slug stays pressed against the paper and I have to bring it back with my finger on the slug. If you follow me. 
And, even then, the leading back edge of the 1/3bullet type bar comes down onto the += letter slug. And stays there, and again I have to move it over to the right with my finger to unsnag it. I have brushed the parts with meths. Makes no difference. No obvious foreign bodies. To my untrained eye it looks as if the 1/3bullet type bar might be marginally bent to the left, but that might be my imagination. Fits the symptoms, though. I am hesitant to try any ignorant cack-handed repairs without proper guidance. Any proper guidance out there?
Thank you very much, in anticipation, for your assistance.

14-9-2014 15:19:38  #2

Re: Help Please: Jamming type bars on my Silver Reed Silverette II

I think the 1/3 typebar might well be bent from your description.  It should enter the guide (forked piece in the middle of the segment) evenly, without any friction on either side.  To check this, remove the ribbon and put a piece of white paper directly behind the guide.  Position a strong light above and raise the 1/3 typebar.  Can you see it jamming on either side of the guide ?  If it is, you will need to re-bend the typebar so that it is central.  Support the bottom of the typebar with a pair of small duck-bill pliers to prevent damage to the segment.  Gently bend the typebar using finger and thumb.  It will probably take several attempts to get this right.  Never be tempted to push the typebar all the way home and try to bend it using the guide as a support.  I've had customers come to me with broken type guides after trying this !

14-9-2014 15:27:24  #3

It's not uncommon for type bars to get bent out of shape or the angle of the slug to fall out of correct alignment. It also sounds like you're already on the right track with respect to fixing this issue. It sounds like the 1/3 slug is not properly aligned, which would explain why it's getting into trouble when resetting, and why it gets jammed at the printing point.(type guide). Most likely you just need to bend the slug or type bar back into the right position. Carefully examine it compared to the type bars and slugs to either side of it and look for where it might be out of alignment; for the most part everything should be perfectly parallel, so it should be fairly easy to spot where the 1/3 is out of alignment. When correcting it, make very small adjustments and take your time. It's better to make three small adjustments to get it just right than overcorrect and really make a mess of the alignment.

Let us know how you made out!

EDIT: Looks like I was typing my reply at the same time as typewriterman! Take his advice over mine - he's the professional in the room and I only advise from experience gained on the job. ;-)

Last edited by Uwe (14-9-2014 15:28:48)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-9-2014 14:42:37  #4

Thank you both for your advice. I've been away, hence the delay in responding.  Now I have to screw up the courage to attempt a repair... it's bound to go wrong. Next posting: can anyone recommend a typewriter repairer!

Regards

23-9-2014 10:09:18  #5

Just take your time, and use less rather than more pressure - make very small adjustments until you get it right. Your next post will be to tell us that it works perfectly well!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-10-2014 15:35:34  #6

Thank you for your advice. I followed it, with the result that I now have a machine that works perfectly, and a glow of pride.
Thanks again.

18-10-2014 16:52:28  #7

Fantastic news! Hope to see pictures of your machine, either here or in the Japan Gallery some day...

14-2-2015 12:41:53  #8

I have exactly the same problem on the same model - design fault maybe? I can't seem to make it work no matter how I adjust it. The 1/3 bar jams and won't even strike the paper, but if I adjust the gaps so that it strikes, the += bar strikes but jams and won't fall back.

Board footera