You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-2-2015 16:54:34  #1

WTB: Smith-Corona Calypso ribbon with spools

I'm looking for a ribbon for the aforementioned typewriter, but all the ones I can find online are ribbon only. Anyone have anything helpful?

16-2-2015 13:28:10  #2

Re: WTB: Smith-Corona Calypso ribbon with spools

Hi Magpie

If I understand correctly, this machine takes the Smith-Corona Series-3 reels, same as the Cougar, Corsair and Profile along with the CT and XT series electrics and the older style Skyriters. Reel diameter = 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" with a 3/16" bore and tang drive in bore. I'll do a little more research to see if I can find a link to such items, http://www.smco.co.uk/1051fn-group-51-twin-spool-black-p-285.html?page=2 appears to be close to what you are looking for, however without the site giving any dimentional information or better pictures, it's pretty hard to tell. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-2-2015 15:55:46  #3

magpie wrote:

I'm looking for a ribbon for the aforementioned typewriter, but all the ones I can find online are ribbon only. Anyone have anything helpful?

The machine uses standard size ribbon, so I assume the real problem is that the typewriter doesn't have any ribbon spools?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-2-2015 07:43:05  #4

Yeah, seems so. It has two metal "reel holders" (I'm guessing that's what they are) but I don't think they're meant to serve as ribbon reels.

17-2-2015 11:14:41  #5

Hi Again

When we talk about the one-piece metal or plastic thing that actually holds or stores the ribbon, what is the most preferred name for this part or accessory, Reel, Spool or Bobbin? I realize the 1950's & 1960's Remingtons had a two piece system, but I'm referring to the type used on most portables. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-2-2015 12:08:21  #6

magpie wrote:

Yeah, seems so. It has two metal "reel holders" (I'm guessing that's what they are) but I don't think they're meant to serve as ribbon reels.

When you lift off the ribbon cover, do you see two of these (ribbon spools)? Or just two capstans (metal posts that a spool would fit on)?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-2-2015 12:30:20  #7

skywatcher wrote:

When we talk about the one-piece metal or plastic thing that actually holds or stores the ribbon, what is the most preferred name for this part or accessory, Reel, Spool or Bobbin? I realize the 1950's & 1960's Remingtons had a two piece system, but I'm referring to the type used on most portables.
Sky

Spool.

Board footera