You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2015 21:34:05  #1

L.C. Smith Model 8 - Carriage issues

So my family and a few of our friends are going skiing over the weekend in Vermont. At the place we're staying, there was an dusty old LC Smith standard just sitting there. It all works, just needs a good cleaning. Except that the carriage return doesn't work. It doesn't really help that I have no idea how it works either. So may someone please explain how the carriage advancement works? It should be worth mentioning that this isn't my typewriter either. And the carriage return lever is on the left, not the right.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

12-2-2015 21:51:15  #2

Re: L.C. Smith Model 8 - Carriage issues

Also, how do I adjust the text alignment? The basket is WAY out of alignment with the lowercase letters. The serial number is 10467833B

13-2-2015 07:39:30  #3

Hahaha - so you're going on a skiing weekend where you"re going to spend the weekend fixing the typewriter! And of course once it's working you'll just want to play on it a *little*... well you know *I* think it sounds fun....

13-2-2015 10:07:36  #4

On most typewriters the line space lever was on the left. Some machines had a carriage release lever on the left and the line space lever on the right, but I doubt that doesn't apply here; earlier LC Smith standards had the line space lever on the right. It would help to know which model you're asking about. Is it a portable, or a standard?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-2-2015 19:58:11  #5

It's an 8 standard. 10 inch carriage.

19-2-2015 21:46:41  #6

You know the little arm thing that pushes the gear thing attached to the platen? I'm sure it has a proper name, but anyway, I had the exact same problem with my '30 LC Smith 8. The little arm thing needed a little lube so that it will keep coming down to advance the next line. You might have the same issue with yours.

Board footera