You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-2-2015 18:44:29  #1

I think I broke it...

Unfortunately, I think I have broke the mainspring on my LC Smith model 8... When ever I wind it to the right (there's a crank, so I assume righty-tighty lefty-loosey) it always snaps and hold zero tension. Is it broken? I really hop it's not, because this mainspring is like nothing I've ever seen, although I've really only experimented with a Royal KMG mainspring. Is there any way to fix this?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

19-2-2015 21:43:13  #2

Re: I think I broke it...

Try pushing the mainspring a bit farther. I have once or twice thought I had broken a mainspring before simply because I wasn't pushing it far enough and I gave up. If it actually is broken, it probably will need to be replaced.

19-2-2015 22:00:12  #3

I kept winding the mainspring for 5 minutes straight and it would reset itself with a click every revolution... It sounds broken to me...

19-2-2015 23:02:55  #4

You don't need to start a new thread for every question you have concerning the same typewriter. There are already two other threads in the repair section that you've started for this typewriter. Unfortunately, this forum does not have a merge function for posts otherwise I would have combined all three threads into one. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-3-2015 20:42:58  #5

I'm so sorry that I took so long to reply, a bunch of sorta happened at once that are outside (and partially inside) of my control. I apologize Uwe for my utter rudeness for not consolidating my questions regarding this particular typewriter, I can hear my ancestors rolling around in their graves right now. Please forgive me, I understand that consolidation is probably for spam control and I have even dealt with spam myself. I don't know how I could have forgotten what it's like to have a spamming issue running about. I even probably won't ask another question about this LC Smith, for I've decided to give it a break because I couldn't fix the problem. Agian, I'm sorry for the 3 week long reply time. I hope I can keep up with the times, as it will only get worse from here.

11-3-2015 10:54:44  #6

There's no need to apologise for anything. And I certainly wouldn't describe what you were doing as being spam. Just consider me as a librarian who just wants to keep all the books on the shelves in order and in the right place so that other people can find what they're looking for more easily.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera