You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-3-2015 21:50:15  #1

Seeking recommendation for a Remmington model for a Grandma

I would like to get my Grandma a Remmington, but I don't know much about them.. at all. Does any one have some advice on models that still have a lot of ink/are not over 7 lbs but is still 1920-1950-y?

They call me "Hammerhands".

14-3-2015 11:23:32  #2

Re: Seeking recommendation for a Remmington model for a Grandma

Hi TKT

By saying under 7lb, you've pretty well limited yourself to the new plastic machines like the Ten-Forty and its contemporaries. Even my little 1936 Remington Junior weighs in a 10½lb plus lid, my other Remingtons like the Quietriter and Nº5 Streamline weigh in at 15lb and 10¾lb respectively. The only old Remington that meets your target weight is the Bantam at 7lb, however the Bantam is not a very practical typewriter for everyday typing.
 As far as lots of ink, think of the ink ribbon like tires on a car, they wear out. Pretty well all the Remingtons that I know of which meet your target date range, take the standard ½” ribbon. I bought a bulk roll (540 yards) of blue ½” nylon ribbon and reload the spools as and when needed. Hope this gives you something to work with. All the best, Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

14-3-2015 13:54:10  #3

The vast majority of typewriters use the same size ribbon (the consumable item that holds the ink). And since 13 mm (0.5 in.) ribbon is very easy to get, it's not a factor when selecting a machine. 

Why a Remington, and why the 7 pound rating? To get close to that weight you'll need to buy an ultra-portable, and off-hand I know that the Hermes Baby (Empire Aristrocrat) and Commodore 600 (Consul 232) weigh 7.2 pounds each. Remington ultra-portables from the era you specified were heavier, and if that's your prime concern then you'll need to look at machines from the '50s and '60s instead.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-3-2015 15:54:01  #4

Hi TKT, 

I recently got - was lucky enough to find locally - a 1940 Remington Envoy, which I am totally in love with, but I don't think it's under 7lbs. It is very small though, with a really friendly little personal feel. I'm sure lots of them of that vintage are much more beat up though, & I'd imagine the platens are the first thing to go. 

I have a Remington QuietRiter from the 50s - not small! - but comes in a lovely smart case and is a dream to type on, though personally I prefer the Olympias.

24-3-2015 06:32:02  #5

I just weighed my Remington Junior Deluxe:- 11 LB, so I don't think you will crash the 7 LB barrier with any of those models; they all seem to be a very similar size and build to this one.  Let us know what you find.

Sincerely,
beak.

26-3-2015 10:17:06  #6

Looking through some of my machines to see if I had anything that I could recommend to you, the Olympia SF Deluxe stood out as having the very lightest typing action of any machine that I have ever used.  I recommended this machine to a friend who has wrist injuries, and she was very happy to find a typewriter so very kind on the joints of the hand.
The action is so light, that it is sometimes hard to type gently enough, until you become used to it once more.  The machine does not weigh in under your limit of 7Lbs (11 ½ Lbs for the SF) but I’m not at all sure that any machine will.  Having said that, the world of typewriters is a surprising one, and such a machine may exist.
The Olympia SF Deluxe is often to be found with an italic or script typeface (‘font’) instead of the more standard upright letters – so check any machine that you may think of buying to see that its particular typeface will be suitable.

Sincerely,
beak.

26-3-2015 13:54:09  #7

beak wrote:

The machine does not weigh in under your limit of 7Lbs (11 ½ Lbs for the SF) but I’m not at all sure that any machine will.  Having said that, the world of typewriters is a surprising one, and such a machine may exist.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there are ultra-portables in that weight range. A Groma Gromina, for example, weighs 6.2 pounds. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2015 20:45:54  #8

What about a Corona 3? I know those were really the first successful ultra-portables, and they're early too. But I'd imagine they don't weight too much?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera