You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2015 09:00:18  #1

Ribbon tension adjustment?

Is there a way to increase ribbon tension?  This is the Royal Royalite that I got a few days ago.  So, what happens when I type is that the engaged spool seems to turn fine, but the passive spool seems to spin a little too easily, letting off too much ribbon.  You can see in the first picture that the ribbon sort of folds up over to the side.  This happens even more when the shift is used to type a letter. (Note: I realize that in this picture the ribbon is not in the right side holder, but this happens even when it is threaded in that holder, I just didn't have it in there for the picture).

Looking at the ribbon spools it seems like there are a couple of possible places that might be used to tighten up the tension of the spools.  There are these screws on top.  Can anyone tell me what they do?

Then, underneath the spools are these screws.  I tried tightening and couldn't seem to get any tighter, but loosening seems to allow removal of the plastic spool holders, which caused me to freak out a little, but I did get them back in, lol.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Is increasing the passive spool tension even possible?  Am I using the right words?  TIA!

Last edited by Spazmelda (16-3-2015 09:02:19)

16-3-2015 14:43:35  #2

Re: Ribbon tension adjustment?

Does this happen when the ribbon is moving in either direction? 

For the ribbon tension, don't be tightening any screws yet. In your second pic, the arrows point to the screws that hold the ribbon advance pawls (closer to the platen) and the anti-backlash pawls (the front two) which prevents the supply spool from turning backwards which might cause ribbon bunching on the supply side (the opposite of your problem, I know). If you move a typebar back and forth, you can see them at work (They do not operate by the spacebar nor the carriage moving back and forth like on some other brands.) When you move those upright guides near the spool holders, you can see how the pawls on one side or the other are switched out, causing the ribbon drive to reverse. Then the passive spool will turn freely but should not spin; do the passive spools on both sides have the same resistance?

Anyway, those pawls are powered by tiny, weak springs which are adequate for their purpose when everything is clean but often they are gummed up and then the take-up spool may not turn consistently, which could affect your problem. (If the take-up is not strong, then the typeslug hitting the ribbon can jerk a bit of it from the supply spool.) Now, I admit your machine looks very clean and the spool drive teeth look sharp, but check this anyway. I do not see anything that serves as an actual spool tension adjustment. I think the system just relies on the accumulated friction of the passive side. Don't oil it.

HTH!

Last edited by M. Höhne (16-3-2015 15:00:02)

16-3-2015 15:18:45  #3

Thanks so much for replying.  You are like my own personal typewriter tutor and I really appreciate it.  I'm still digesting the info in your post.  I can go ahead and answer that the ribbon does bunch up like that whether the passive side is switched to the right or left. 

Is it possible that my spool is just not right?  I did notice that there is a little gap between the bottom of the spool and the white plastic spool uh... rests.  The flat round parts the spool rests on.

To clarify, you said the antibacklash pawls (I love learning these terms) could prevent bunching on the supply side, which you then said was opposite to the problem Im having, but I'm not clear on that.  In that picture the ribbon is being supplied from the left side, which would be the passive side and is the side the bunching is happening on in the pic.  I'm probably missing some basic knowledge of terminology though.

I think all the springs and stuff in that region looked fairly clean, but I will give them another going over.

16-3-2015 18:02:52  #4

Thanks. Glad I can contribute.

Well, y'know, that bunching in your top pic isn't that bad, not really abnormal. Does it get worse than that? If that's all it is and it still bothers you, you could put a piece of felt or cloth between the top of the spools and the cover to create a little drag.

The spool fitting on its rest? As long as the pin fits into the hole in the spool, it should be fine.

As for the pawls, test their motion with a fingernail; pull 'em out and see how they snap back. There won't be much force, but they shouldn't hesitate either. They might look clean and yet stick, so test their action. Then watch their action to see how they advance the spool; it should be clear what they are supposed to do.

16-3-2015 18:36:23  #5

M. Höhne wrote:

Thanks. Glad I can contribute.

Well, y'know, that bunching in your top pic isn't that bad, not really abnormal. Does it get worse than that? If that's all it is and it still bothers you, you could put a piece of felt or cloth between the top of the spools and the cover to create a little drag.

The spool fitting on its rest? As long as the pin fits into the hole in the spool, it should be fine.

As for the pawls, test their motion with a fingernail; pull 'em out and see how they snap back. There won't be much force, but they shouldn't hesitate either. They might look clean and yet stick, so test their action. Then watch their action to see how they advance the spool; it should be clear what they are supposed to do.

It does sometimes do it a little worse, but not too bad I guess.  The felt idea is brilliant.  Would never have thought of that. A simple low tech solution!  And I will test the pawls out and maybe hit them with isopropanol again.

Last edited by Spazmelda (17-3-2015 05:10:59)

Board footera