You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-3-2015 14:58:52  #1

Messed up line advance mechanism

I posted over in maintenance about my attempts to clean up the Woodstock No. 5.  The clean up is going well, but I've made a problem for myself.

I took off the platen to get to the dust bunnies residing underneath.  That seemed to go okay, cleaned up the platen and polished up the metal on the platen knobs and mechanisms while the platen was out.

I put the platen back in, and thought I had everything right, but the line advance mechanism is not working properly now.  I'm hoping that there is something obvious that someone can point out to me.

Basically the little line advancing thing (red arrow pointing to it in pics) will advance the gear, but sometimes it does not advance (like, it just doesn't catch the gear every single time).  Also the thing does not always pop back up after advancing a line, so that I can't reverse the paper (like to go back up on the paper). 

I noticed there is a little spring (green arrow).  Is something  wrong with the spring so that it's keeping the line advancer doo-dad engaged with the gear, or is there some other mechanism that pops the doo-dad back up again?

Thanks in advance for any help!

20-3-2015 15:33:29  #2

Re: Messed up line advance mechanism

Does the line space lever return to its normal position after you use it? Did you tighten the nut that the line space pawl (what the red arrow is point at) pivots on? Or clean the metal in that area and inadvertently pack the pivot point with crud? Does the line space pawl move freely up and down manually with the tip of your finger?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2015 16:06:44  #3

Thanks Uwe.  I bet you are tired of answering my questions!

The line space lever does return normally, and I can move the pawl up with my finger.  I did not tighten the nut, but I was wondering if I should because the whole mechanism seems a little floppy in there.  I might have wedged some junk in there.  I will hit it with some solvent and see if that helps. Or maybe it needs to be oiled?

What exactly moves it up out of the way?  It doesn't look like there is a spring that pushes it up, only a spring that pushes it down.

ETA:  something I just noticed.  The arm holding the pawl seems to be a little bent or curved.  I can't post a pic right now, but I can later.  Maybe this is the problem?  Solvent didn't help anything.  So i think I'm going to have to take the platen back off and see if I can figure it out from that.

Last edited by Spazmelda (20-3-2015 16:20:03)

20-3-2015 16:33:37  #4

Actually, you can see that in the original pic I posted of the area:

See how that arm looks a little bent?  Maybe it is supposed to be?

20-3-2015 17:42:56  #5

Out of curiosity, did you try moving the line space selector to see if it has any effect on the pawl? I'll have to check my Woodstock, which unfortunately is in storage at the moment, to compare, but I would start by cleaning all of those moving parts - their pivot points in particular - to see if that helps things.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2015 17:52:16  #6

Hey, I figured it out.  Yes, I did try moving the line space selector, and it would move, but it was more difficult to move than it should have been.

Here's what I think I had wrong...  There is a set screw on the left hand side of the platen.  It screws down into a cut out area of the metal rod that goes inside the platen.  I did not have that screw in the right place, I think, and as a result the left hand side of the platen was not resting up against the line shifting gear as firmly as it should have been (does that make sense?). Because of that, the pawl was wiggling out of place whenever I'd hit the line spacing/return lever, and not sliding up against the little stop that makes it disengage with the gear, instead the end of the pawl was sliding to the side of the stop (not sure what you'd call that).  Once I got the platen resting up firmly against the gear, it keeps the pawl from slipping out of place.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Spazmelda (20-3-2015 17:53:54)

Board footera