You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2015 16:38:26  #1

Olympia SM-9 Wide Carriage

Pretty sure I've identified this fast typer correctly. $11 Goodwill!

19-3-2015 19:10:42  #2

Re: Olympia SM-9 Wide Carriage

Beeautiful! I have an earlier - 1966 - SM8,  which I love, with the turquoise - and a late SG3 from 1979 that I rescued from decades of rust and leaves and insects... it looks exactly like the big brother of this one. These are such great machines, even seeing the inside if your SM9 gives me a thrill.

19-3-2015 21:04:55  #3

KatLondon wrote:

Beeautiful! I have an earlier - 1966 - SM8, which I love, with the turquoise - and a late SG3 from 1979 that I rescued from decades of rust and leaves and insects... it looks exactly like the big brother of this one. These are such great machines, even seeing the inside if your SM9 gives me a thrill.

I would love to get my hands on an SG-3 just to compare. I can only imagine how heavy it must be. I've strictly limited myself to portables (for now), but this SM-9 is only portable because of the giant case it comes in.

After typing on it more tonight, I'm warming to the typeface. I should have taken a picture. At first it struck me as a little cold, but it's clean and sharp.

20-3-2015 14:27:00  #4

Congrats on the SM9. It's a wonderful machine, and a true workhorse. And $11? I would buy them all day long at that price!

WIWriter wrote:

I'm warming to the typeface. I should have taken a picture. At first it struck me as a little cold, but it's clean and sharp.

You sort of did take a picture of it. I can clearly see the typeface on your platen. ;-)

WIWriter wrote:

I would love to get my hands on an SG-3 just to compare. I can only imagine how heavy it must be.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-3-2015 19:10:41  #5

Uwe, Thanks for posting those pics. The SG-3 qualifies as ginormous! It's beautiful, though. I wasn't sure how I would like the white shell, but it's pretty neat. 

I put a new ribbon in the SM-9 today. The type looks way better. Still crisp and clean, but bolder now. I know I got a good deal on this typer. It's a definite keeper.

Board footera