You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-3-2015 12:44:17  #11

Re: Help dating my Selectrics

It is hard to date IBM Selectrics from the serial number alone because they were produced in so many factories around the world. I can usually date the machine by inspecting date codes inside the machine. Usually the cover castings and motor have manufacturing dates. Also look for the install date on the sticker on the bottom of the machine (if there is one).

In IBM terms, the "21" in 21-0776906 is the Product Code which means it is a Selectric I. This number is not always part of the serial number and most Selectric I's are known as 7x or 7xx models.
The Selectric I models were produced all the way up to 1977, concurrent with Selectric II's. By looking at your photos, I'd say your Selectric I was a later model, probably from early 70's.

Uwe is correct about the date for the Selectric II.

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (25-3-2015 12:45:00)

Clark

25-3-2015 16:42:44  #12

thanks Professor!
You may well be right. I had to take the little green machine in for a quick fix the other day, and the nice fella at Ace Typewriter (Matt), thought it was '70s. The case is made of some sort of plastic instead of metal. I had no idea they produced the I and II concurrently. If I get a chance, I'll look for those case codes. I've seen the sticker you are talking about on the bottom of other Selectrics, but unfortunately, mine doesn't have one. Thanks for the information! 

27-3-2015 10:59:10  #13

Aha! The Selectric I's with the plastic (polyester) cases were made towards the end of production, so you do have a later model, definitely from the 70's. The casting dates molded into the covers are sometimes covered by the foam insulation.

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (27-3-2015 11:03:22)

Clark

27-3-2015 22:01:20  #14

ProfessorC30 wrote:

Aha! The Selectric I's with the plastic (polyester) cases were made towards the end of production, so you do have a later model, definitely from the 70's. The casting dates molded into the covers are sometimes covered by the foam insulation.

Okay, I think I found what we're looking for: Underneath the ribbon cover are the braille numbers on one side going from 1 to 12. On the other side is the number 1, and underneath that (like it was a fraction, but without the line) is the number 474. So maybe April 1974?

28-3-2015 17:37:37  #15

Possible. A photo would help. IBM contracted with various manufacturers to make the housings and each one used a different date code stamp.

Clark

29-3-2015 20:02:06  #16

ProfessorC30 wrote:

Possible. A photo would help. IBM contracted with various manufacturers to make the housings and each one used a different date code stamp.

Okay, let's give these a whirl:

12-5-2015 19:55:08  #17

Uwe wrote:

Gr8tfulEd wrote:

It's obviously a "baby" selectric with the small platen.

The Selectric was made in three sizes that I'm aware of, with either an 11, 13, or 15 in. platen. I have the two larger sizes, and would love to add an 11 in. model, but you don't see them as often; I suspect they weren't sold in the same numbers as the larger ones that were far more practical for office use.

There are two 11 in. models on eBay right now.

Last edited by typewriterguru (12-5-2015 19:55:35)

28-5-2015 20:15:20  #18

Like UWE said, there were three sizes, and a further distinction was shown whether it was fabric ribbon or carbon ribbon, and in the Sel II series, whether it was a correcting or not made a difference . . .

09-6-2019 08:27:48  #19

I was recently gifted with a 'Dual Pitch' IBM SELECTRIC II With Correction. Its label states made in 'Canada", and its serial number is: 26-4905778. That serial number does not appear in dating charts of the TWDB. The  serial numbers for the "Made In Canda" IBM SELECTRIC II machines end at 4529092 (1977). 

09-6-2019 10:36:43  #20

Burn 'Em Up wrote:

... SELECTRIC II With Correction. Its label states made in 'Canada", and its serial number is: 26-4905778.

Since it is part of the equation, what size is the carriage on your machine? Do you have its model number (see post 2 in this thread)?

In the absence of that information I would assume it was made in 1980.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera