You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-3-2015 11:41:57  #1

Cyrillic Keyboard

Greetings All

Last Sunday when I was sitting in church, I noticed that a fellow congregational member sitting next to me was reading from a Russian bible. After the service, we got talking and I discovered he had two degrees in Russian and was very interested in both the spoken and written Russian language. I made mention that I had seen typewriters with the Cyrillic keyboard for sale on several different selling sites. The possibility of maybe getting a Cyrillic typewriter really interested him. Would any members of TT happen to have, or know the whereabouts of a decent Cyrillic typewriter for a reasonable price? I realize that the word reasonable is very subjective in this case, however I thought I'd ask anyway. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-3-2015 14:21:30  #2

Re: Cyrillic Keyboard

Given the size of the Russian/Ukranian population in Toronto, there are always machines with cyrillic keyboards for sale locally. Most are 6-series Smith-Corona models, so they're rugged and reliable. I have one in my collection that I bought from Valiant in this forum, an Oliver, but it has a dual language keyset so I can at least use it. I would find out what his budget is and go from there. I don't see why he couldn't buy one for $60-80 including shipping.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-4-2015 01:29:23  #3

Re: Cyrillic Keyboard

Hi Uwe

After some research, found two Smith-Coronas, a Galaxie and a series- 5 Sterling, both with Cyrillic keyboards and both from the same seller. Got them both for $24.95 US each plus shipping. Will update once I've collected them from the pick-up point in the USA. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera