You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-4-2015 18:45:22  #1

Adler Tippa S (1973?) with

As requested by KatLondon . . . the Adler Tippa S 
I got this typer via a shopgoodwill.com auction. Honestly, I hadn't remembered bidding  (I tend to peruse the listings when I can't sleep, so sometimes these things happen). Anyway, I was excited to get my hands on any Adler, having heard good things online. So it was with great anticipation that I tore into the box. 

The experience did not start off well, but I'm happy to say the Tippa now works for the most part. It started off not printing very well and randomly stopping in its tracks. The carriage jittered and jounced as I typed.

So I took the carriage off and to see why it was so loose on its little track. I did not figure this out. But when I reassmbled, things seemed to be better aligned and some problems (such as the carriage just deciding to stop in the middle of a line) had magically resolved themselves. Another issue--the carriage stopping right at the bell and allowing overtyping was because the drawband was incorrectly attached to the carriage. The band itself was interfering with the right margin stop. Fixed! I am not a particularly mechanically inclined person, so resolving anything (even something this obvious) makes me feel like I just invented a warp drive.

As for typing: I love the feel of the keyboard and the snappy, happy precision of the slugs smacking the paper. But the carriage still seems looser and shakier than I'd expect. It's like a rattletrap jalopy.

The carriage still hits some sticking spots when returning. I studied the mechanism very closely when I had the carriage off. It rides on a track with ball bearing guides on either side. Everything that should be there seems to be there, and it all seems to be where it belongs. I just could not see where it was haning up. I'll have another look at it in the next couple days. Fortunately, the carriage is very easy to remove. Just two screws. 

I'm quite happy that this Tippa is now in a useable state. It made me feel so accomplished. By the end, I had gunk and grease and ink all over my fingers, so at least I looked I had done something!

And now for some pics!

02-4-2015 11:05:27  #2

Re: Adler Tippa S (1973?) with

A nice example of the Tippa S; it' looks great!

Adler produced some wonderful machines over the years, but by the time the Tippa S was introduced, the company had already merged with Triumph, and then had been bought out by Litton, which owned other typewriter manufacturers such as Imperial and Royal. Production lines merged and the lines between the various companies' designs blurred.

Most collectors will agree that Adler's portables declined in quality during the later years of the company's typewriter production history, and that the Tippa S - although a decent enough machine - does not fare well in a direct comparison with Adler's older ultra-portable models. In other words, it's not exactly surprising that your machine reminds you a little of a jalopy and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Your Tippa appears to be in good condition - externally - so the binding carriage issue might be something other than the obvious, which is something foreign on the carriage rails like a lump of congealed oil and dirt or a patch of rust. I'd start by thoroughly cleaning and lightly oiling the rails. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-4-2015 17:59:50  #3

Thanks, Uwe. I'll have to keep my eyes out for an earlier vintage Tippa!

I had the carriage apart again today and learned a lot. No debris or crud. But there's a little gear that rides along one side that doesn't seem to track quite right. Hard to explain and I don't feel up to taking it apart (for the seventh time) just to take a pic.

It's funny how nervous I was taking screws out the first time, and now I know how it all goes together it's no big deal at all.

02-4-2015 22:10:57  #4

Gear? Perhaps the anti-creep sprocket that keeps the ball retainers in place. There should be an identical one in the front rail as well. Maybe some of the holes in the carriage that the sprocket meshes into are blocked?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2015 06:44:18  #5

Wow, WI, I'm impressed! Every time I have ever thought that maybe I should take a carriage off and look underneath I have been totally unable to get it off. Platens always seem to be rusted on, somehow. 

Uwe, what would you say is the point where the quality of the Tippas started to deteriorate? Mine is sweet but made of plastic - 1972 - & though it's remarkably intact there are a couple of tiny bits beginning to detach themselves in odd corners... The typing action is really good, though a bit spongy for my taste - which is NOTHING like the big Special I just got.

03-4-2015 11:32:51  #6

KatLondon wrote:

what would you say is the point where the quality of the Tippas started to deteriorate?

Probably with the introduction of the Tippa S, which wasn't made in Germany, but in Holland instead (I think). The previous generation Tippa (below) types rather well for an ultra-portable, and although I don't own a Tippa S, I have tried a couple and have to agree that overall they have a more flimsy feel to them. I'd still buy one in a heartbeat at the right price because I still like the machines.

There was one other generation of the Tippa that followed the Tippa S, which I believe was made in Japan. I've never used one so I can't comment on its quality, but I suspect it would be very similar to the other Japan-sourced Litton models that I own such as the Imperial 220 and Royal Fleetwood, both of which are decent typewriters, but still not on par with the older Tippa models.

1965 Triumph/Adler Tippa 1:

03-4-2015 13:33:55  #7

Interesting! I was thinking yesterday that I would sell my early 1960s Tippa 1 because I don't like it as much as the later 60s Tippa S and 1970s Tippa. I've kept the Tippa 1 until now because its quite light and small for travelling about with. The Tippa S I have is the smoothest typer, such a wonderful return and lovely action.

05-4-2015 17:57:32  #8

A quick update to say I've fixed the main issue with the Tippa S. The bearing "sled" the carriage rides on has a single tiny sprocket (just on one side) that was not tracking well. Really frustrating. I studied it for a while, then decided there was no fixing it the root cause, I decided to delete the root cause.

I clipped the little sprocket off, reinstalled the carriage and now it works well, with no sticking. Probably not the ideal fix, but I was seriously thinking of practicing my discus-throwing skills with that machine ;)

So now I have a useable, if flimsy, Adler in my collection!

17-11-2015 12:27:39  #9

I have a further question about a 60s Triumph Adler Tippa 1 (the same model as your lovely photos, Uwe). If anyone is still paying attention to this thread, that is. I picked it up at a thrift store in Austria several years ago, for two euro. No one knew how to get the case open, so it was a steal.

I have finally been inspired to clean and tune this delightful little machine. My problem is that I'm not sure which are the screws to remove the carriage. I need to get the carriage off so that I can get the bell working--I think the little lever that trips the hammer needs some adjustment, and perhaps the hammer as well. Can anyone explain or post of photo of where the two screws are located? I have a hunch, but I'd like to be sure before I remove any thing. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I share WIWriter's nervousness there.

Thanks for helping a newcomer!

17-11-2015 12:56:51  #10

Welcome to the forum ID/NE. I had a quick look for my Tippa 1 and couldn't find it, but I'll keep an eye open for it to check its margin bell. Are you sure that you need to remove the carriage? My memory isn't the greatest, but I seem to recall having the case off of the machine, which provided good access to all its components, including the bell mechanism.

Board footera