You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2015 13:24:33  #1

Why are some typewriters more 'collectable' than others?

What do you look for in a collectable?

Quality, condition, uniqueness, color, brand, affordability?  What puts a typewriter on your 'must have' list?

Mostly I'm just interested in what people have to say, but the particular thing that brought this question to mind is that I got a Woodstock at an antique mall and was very pleased with it.  Googling, I couldn't find much and I was curious why.  I did come across some blurb from an ebay ribbon seller that mentioned that woodstocks aren't really considered collectable.  This kind of surprised me because, to my newbie eyes, they aren't that different from the old Remington's, which seem to be considered collectable.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-3-2015 13:24:55)

19-3-2015 17:42:49  #2

Re: Why are some typewriters more 'collectable' than others?

To be quite honest, I look for everything in a typewriter. Quality is a huge one, if it doesn't type well, then it doesn't stay. Another factor is styling, how attractive does it look? If it looks absolutely stunning, but types OK, then why not? But if it looks meh, and types like it too, then out it goes. Condition usually doesn't have much of a say, unless it has nothing working with it. Uniqueness is an interesting one. I really don't have many machines that are considered "unique" besides maybe my Antares Parva. Which leads me to collectability. I've never heard of an Antares before I saw one going for cheap. They're a good ultra-portable, looks nice too and somewhat uncommon. But not very collectable. So why are Remingtons and Olympias more collectable than Woodstock and Antares? I may be wrong, but I think it may be due to how large the company was before they all died out. Remington was the leader during the first half of the 20th century. Woodstock was not. Therefore, people remember Remington more than Woodstock because more had a Remington rather than a Woodstock. They're not bad machines, just not as well known so therefore not as disirable. But someone correct me if I'm wrong about this. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

19-3-2015 18:37:52  #3

Thanks for your answer ztyper!  I saw that Antares on a thread or somewhere, maybe your thread.  It looks pretty cool.

For me right now, the qualities are not really anything specific.  First, I want something that is at least pretty close to working, since I know nothing about repairs.  Next it has to look cool to me.  That's about it, I guess. Lol.  I was thinking maybe I'd focus on portables, since they are smaller, but the Woodstock kind of ruined that idea. 

Oh, and age seems to be a thing.  I don't seem to be attracted to much of anything beyond mid 60's, but that could change I suppose.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-3-2015 18:46:47)

19-3-2015 19:25:42  #4

I actually find portable to be more interesting, mechanically speaking, because they had to fit all of the office functions and do-dads into a space half of the size. So I guess I agree with you on portable. But one of my favorite typewriters is a Royal KMG standard so go figure .  And age is definitely important. After the mid 60's, typewriters declined in quality and even how they looked. Big, boxy, and worst of all horrible colours... Either bright orange, or office grey. Yuck...

19-3-2015 19:35:18  #5

KMG seems to be a favorite around these parts.  I haven't seen one in person.

I do like the funky colors.  I got a Royal Royalite with the intention of having it powder coated some bright colors (sacrilege perhaps) but the original finish is in really good shape so I will probably leave it as is. Though I like the bright colors of the later machines, I don't like the boxyness that many seem to have.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-3-2015 19:36:10)

19-3-2015 19:51:43  #6

KMG's or KMM's, they're all good. If you do see one, get it. With sturdy insides, Magic Margin, and even glass keys, they're perfect.

I enjoy funky colours (ever seen an early Royal portable? They came in some WEIRD paint jobs for the 30's) but the 70's colors were either too boring or too bright. And the 80's just went to white-grey so that sucks too. Oh well, there are plenty of better machines out there.

04-4-2015 17:44:39  #7

I started off looking for machines that were good to look at and didn't take that much notice of how they typed because all my adult life up until a year ago I'd been using a pair of cheap Silver Reeds, one with no ribbon cover and the other with a hard as rock platen. Anything at all was going to be better than that looks-wise! In fact I started out just looking for something that wasn't going to make a doily out of my paper.
Now I have different criteria - is it going to be a charming antique, a piece of history worth saving, or is it going to be a work-horse for churning out pages of text or is it going to be used for drawing. Or all three in one.  (and pigs might fly!) Right now I'm looking for certain kinds of typefaces for drawing, so the collectability factor is a barrier to me aquiring the most desirable machines. Colours don't bother me now that I have a maroon corona silent, I got my colour-vibe fix with that!

05-4-2015 09:43:46  #8

Well, I have a few criteria for what I want to buy - which isn't really to do with whether a typewriter 'is collectible'... I think once you get into collecting anything it quickly becomes really personal.

For me, it's looks, typing, and an algorithm that involves make and model, age, space in the flat, and other aspects. Looks are inprtant to me but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. for instance I love my 1978 SG3 and those other big white Olympias! The lines are so clean, that big sweep is exhilarating, and I even like the red circle logo. But I'm not interested in the big boxy upright old ones from the 30s and earlier, they often look a bit clunky and sad to me. I love the portables from that period though. 

For me it also has to type well, which for me means a certain kind of action I guess, and of course we all have our favourites. And I don't bid on anything if you can see even in the picture that the platen is shot to hell. .

The whole key-touch thing is very tactile and personal. I love my Remington Envoy, and all the Olympias, and the big Adler - very brisk! But I even like my Lettera 22 a lot, even though I can feel a sort of muddiness there. It's a not unpleasant muddiness. But I've just sold the 32. Many of my favourites I have seen rants against at some point or another!

But really, really key is PRICE. For me, 'collectible' does NOT mean 'will pay more'! I collect if they're cheap and then I fix, as much as I can. I've got one or two things I'm going to have to get The Typewriter Man to fix, as and when I get the money together, & if I hadn't got them so damn cheap in the first place it would be killing me!

Last edited by KatLondon (05-4-2015 10:05:36)

Board footera