You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-4-2015 19:42:38  #1

Olympia re-labelled

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brinsmead/antiques/vintage-chevron-typewriter/1075208754

This, to my eye, is an Olympia Traveller, somehow turning up with a Chevron badge.  Never seen that before!

Sincerely,
beak.

03-4-2015 20:27:07  #2

Re: Olympia re-labelled

I'm pretty sure that isn't an Olympia. The shape and style is similar, but it seems to be just a late rip-off. And it has a tab, which as far as I know, the Traveller lacked. But I'm curious as to how it types...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

03-4-2015 21:16:59  #3

It's not an Olympia, but an Olivetti. And it looks like it uses the internals of a later model Lettera (maybe the 25?), as opposed to the externally similar Olivetti Tropical (or Roma), which was mated with a Hermes' mechanicals. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-4-2015 15:54:45  #4

I've never seen one of these before either, but I think that it may be a Nakajima.  The later Olympia Travellers (Traveller 'S') did have a pre-set tab. - a development by the Yugoslavian factory(TBS Unis) that were making them for Olympia under contract.

05-4-2015 14:38:42  #5

You're right, the Chevron brand was a Nakajima ALL product, and its modified Traveller case is the one used for the Japanese Olympiette, which apparently was inspired by Olivetti's modifications used for the Tropical. It says a lot for Olympia's original Traveller design that its basic shape was used by at least two other manufacturers (okay, maybe just one since technically Nakajima produced private label machines for Olympia). Still, I'm surprised that the type guide, aligning scales, and vibrator/ribbon carrier look identical to those used on the Olivetti Tropical. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera