You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-4-2015 17:45:00  #1

Smith Premier

While I was visiting an antiques mall by my aunt's down by Baltimore, Maryland, I stumbled across a Smith Premier typewriter. I don't know much about them, besides the fact that they're an upstroke, with a separate keyboard for caps, typewriter. It's in rough condition, the platen is done, the decals are almost nothing, and the space bar doesn't work. But that's besides the point, for I'm pretty sure I can fix those problems. However, I noticed that the ribbon is HUGE. At least double the length of a standard one. It's also very dry, and will need replacing. Does anyone know where to get replacement Smith Premier ribbons? Do they even exist? I would love to add this machine to my collection, for it'd be the oldest and most unique out of all of my other ones. If I can get a ribbon for it, and maybe fix the space bar, I'll definitely get it.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

04-4-2015 17:56:08  #2

Re: Smith Premier

Oh, it should be said it is a Smith Premier No. 2

04-4-2015 18:23:29  #3

In some cases, when you find a unusual size ribbon, depending on the conditions of it, you can simply re-ink the ribbon with some stamp ink.

Here is a link to a thread that explains the proccess.
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=25

Hope you found this helpful.

06-4-2015 18:11:54  #4

Well I bought the Smith Premier, and she's a beautiful machine. Here's a few pictures:

(Ignore the messy setting. It's my aunt's basemesnt and my brother and I are sleeping there too.)

It's not in the best shape, and I paid a bit too much for the condition, but when's the nest time I'll see a Smith Premier? However there's just one problem, the space bar is completely broken. You'll notice that's it's missing too, but the base of the space bar doesn't do anything. Just flops around a bit. Does anyone know what the problem is? I have no experience with early typewriters, this is my first 1800's one and it's totally different than any of my other ones. So any information about it too would be wonderful.

06-4-2015 20:30:30  #5

Wow! I am totally jealous. I've been looking for an upstrike to add to my collection but I have sworn to myself to never get one shipped to me, too dangerous.

As for the repair, I know nothing about these machines and the most I can do is wish you the best of luck.

07-4-2015 19:06:54  #6

I made a similar pact with myself concerning my future SG1. I can't trust others to pack such a large machine. And to be quite honest, I had expected three SG1's in a single place before stumbling upon this here Smith Premier. Granted it's in rough shape, but I started cleaning it up and it's turing out to be quite the oddity. All of my machines can type circles around this one, but the feel is like none other and it has a peculiar movement. I don't know how to describe besides a bit "snappy and springy" feeling. If anyone else has one of these old things, please tell me what you think. It's like none other and I want to know other people's opinon.

As for the repair, I figured out that I was missing an entire bar. It would connect from the front by the space bar, to the back of the machine where a plate when moved to the right activates the escpement. So I'll just have to make my own then.

07-4-2015 19:49:12  #7

It is remarkable that it works so well, despite the poor cosmetic shape... it must have been pretty well made to survive that abuse.

07-4-2015 21:01:34  #8

"So well" may be a debatable term... It needs adjusting because sometimes the carriage doesn't move when certain keys are pressed. And space virtually doesn't exist. Nor are the feed rollers any good... But it certainly is very well made considering it's survived 118 years!

08-4-2015 05:06:39  #9

What a neat machine to own.  I hope you will post updates and more pics as you get it cleaned up and working!

08-4-2015 11:12:32  #10

I've fixed the space bar! It took awhile, but I finally bent a wire hanger into the right shape. Here's what it looks like:

You can see the other bars for the letters next to it. It may look crude, but it works and I don't plan on using this Smith Premier as my daily typer. So far, it's going quite well.

Board footera