You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-3-2013 14:52:44  #1

USB Typewriters

I wouldn't convert a pristine model, but now have a battered Royal that I'll be wiring up to my iMac. For details:

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

Stevetype33

17-3-2013 17:04:59  #2

Re: USB Typewriters

I've been very intrigued by this product for a while now. Maybe it's not true, but I thought typing on a platen without paper will damage it, so I guess it's alright for a machine that you're not worried about or one that already has a ruined platen. 

Then I also wondered if there would be any effect on the tablet from the vibration created by a typewriter.

I can't wait to read about your impressions of this system once you've been using it for a while. How difficult was it to install? Would you recommend it? Is it practical, or just a novelty? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2013 15:00:19  #3

To be honest, I think it will always be a novelty.

I've had a look at couple of the installation guides and it seems straightforward with little or no damage to the typewriter required.

I do have an iPad but am guessing that vibration would be a problem, so am planning to rig it to an iMac.

As far as protecting the platen I suppose a simple fix would be to cover it in a roll of paper.

08-4-2013 02:41:42  #4

In two minds here.  I love the fact that someone has carried the idea through to reality, but wonder about the real range of applications.  Basically my view is; if you like it, why not.  Had I far more spare cash than I do, I'd probably set one up just to see the effect.

One practical use would be in the teaching of touch typing on manual machines, rigged to a computer program designed to teach it.  Any one following through on this a making a fortune might remember where the iddea came from! - just kidding.

I believe I've seen 'Steampunk' keyboards so rigged.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-4-2013 23:24:18  #5

USB typewriters. Ugh. I agree with Steve. I don't see them as being anything but a toyish little novelty. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera