You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-4-2015 11:06:39  #31

Re: SG Owners Club

That's a very nice window display of complimentary machines with all three sharing the same design theme. Your SG3, what looks like a SM8, and a SF De Luxe.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-4-2015 05:11:18  #32

Thank you ) Yes, it's a SM8. Actually, these Olympia designs go pretty unnoticed here in Berlin. Far too unspectacular, factual, understated in terms of their looks for the likes of the people coming to my shop interested in getting themseves a typewriter to write with (collectors understandably get their machines from other sources). As to Olympias, the previous SM design and the Splendid are more attractive, also black pre 1950 machines (1942 Torpedo 18 raising most interest in my current range), and more or less any Brother, the sleek, flat, tiny ones from the 70s. Standard machines, or large portables such as Olivetti Studio 45, Hermes 3000, or plastic Erikas, go more or less unnoticed.

Last edited by kpropaganda (12-4-2015 05:12:03)

19-4-2015 10:30:00  #33

Justanotherguy- I love the adding machine right in the corner of your picture! I am and will forever be on the hunt for an Olympia adding machine. They seem to be as rare as hens teeth, at least in the US, but someday I am hoping to meet up with one. 

So many nice machines...makes me drool!

19-4-2015 20:10:20  #34

Oh, my trusty little Victor!- It is such a neat little adder, nice looking too. $10 for it was a great deal, it came with the dust cover... I've actually used it once or twice for math homework (repeat addition.. bleah) and it looks nice on my desk next to my gumball machine and whatever typewriter is occupying it that particular day.

30-1-2016 01:36:50  #35

Do I get to play too? Not your typical SG3, but with the amount of other machines I have it's hard to justify more SG sized machines...

JP Huard

30-1-2016 21:25:13  #36

You don't see too many Musicwriter machines around, but I have missed out more than once on buying the SG3-based model; I just couldn't justify the asking price despite how intriguing the machine is. A noteworthy edition to our SG Owners' Club!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-1-2016 00:45:28  #37

You might not want to hear what I got this one for then I'll put it this way, it would have cost me more to buy a tank of gas for my truck than I paid, shipped.

JP Huard

31-1-2016 13:55:31  #38

I used to have a truck, and back then it cost me $120 to fill the tank, so I guess you're saying that it wasn't expensive. Then again it's all relative. I'm used to getting at least three typewriters for $120, but typewriter pricing is all over the map and dependent on so many factors such as how knowledgeable the seller is, whether or not other collectors are bidding against you, the condition of the machine, etc. And we shouldn't forget the buyer role in the equation either. I've never understood why anyone would pay a premium price for a machine just because it has a case finished in a colour that isn't black (or gray), and yet there are buyers out there who are paying ridiculous amounts of money (to me) just because a machine is red (or pink, or blue, or green). When it comes to collecting, and getting machines you really want, I've found that patience is the key element; given enough time you will inevitably come across an inexpensive example of whatever you're after. 

31-1-2016 21:24:16  #39

Uwe wrote:

I used to have a truck, and back then it cost me $120 to fill the tank, so I guess you're saying that it wasn't expensive. Then again it's all relative. I'm used to getting at least three typewriters for $120, but typewriter pricing is all over the map and dependent on so many factors such as how knowledgeable the seller is, whether or not other collectors are bidding against you, the condition of the machine, etc. And we shouldn't forget the buyer role in the equation either. I've never understood why anyone would pay a premium price for a machine just because it has a case finished in a colour that isn't black (or gray), and yet there are buyers out there who are paying ridiculous amounts of money (to me) just because a machine is red (or pink, or blue, or green). When it comes to collecting, and getting machines you really want, I've found that patience is the key element; given enough time you will inevitably come across an inexpensive example of whatever you're after. 

Ouch, forgot you're in Canada and how expensive it is to fill up the tank up there. Figure I usually put in around 20 gallons when I fill up, and gas right now is right at the $2/gal mark... so right in line with the three for $120 that you mentioned. I'd been looking for a musicwriter for a while and my patience paid off, this was more than reasonable price wise (I basically just paid for shipping).

JP Huard

03-2-2016 04:38:33  #40

Hey hey- I scored an SG1 here in south Austin. $30 on Craigslist, and all I had to do was haul it home, blow out the leaves and dust, dismantle it, scour the rust off its inner workings, degrease it, carefully lubricate it, clean the shell, replace some hardware and rubber, and pop in a new ribbon: voilà!

Seriously, it is lovely. As a bonus, it's my first machine sporting the hyper-legible Imperial pica typeface. I love it. )

Board footera