You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-4-2015 11:43:34  #1

my second manual typewriter

I already have a Remington 16 built in 1932. I found a 1954 Smith Corona Sterling portable in my best frinds basement and he gave it to me. I took it home and cleaned it up with brushes compressed air, and brushed denatured alchol over the slugs and other metal interior parts. The key seem to be still be a little hard to press to type. I have heard that powdered graphite is the best lubricant. Is this correct correct? And if correct, how do I apply it.  I am not a mechanical engineer, although, I can easily work on my 1967 Pontiac GTO.

Kirk Fuller 
Gadsden, Ala

19-4-2015 17:59:03  #2

Re: my second manual typewriter

If you haven't used a typewriter in some time the keys might feel heavy, esepecially if you're only used to using a computer keyboard, but since you already own a typewriter I doubt that's the issue. I would concentrate on cleaning the segment more and wouldn't use lubricant of any kind there. Some machines will also improve with use. Run a few pages through your Sterling and see if it improves any; I've had many machines that went from being reluctant typers in the first paragraph, to singing in tune by the time it had churned out a thousand words.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-4-2015 18:28:40  #3

what do you mean by " clean the Segment"? Is the segment a technical term?

19-4-2015 20:30:57  #4

The segment is the slotted, curved bar that the typebars pivot in. It looks almost like a comb.

20-4-2015 10:21:44  #5

This is the segment on your machine:

In particular, you want to really clean those narrow slots that the type bar swing into. I'd also suggest cleaning the bottom half of each typebar too; it doesn't take much dirt or any kind of foreign substance in that area to mess up the performance of a machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera