You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-4-2015 13:56:32  #11

Re: Smith Premier

Hello,

Just a quick question - did you find a place to order  a new ribbon for this machine? I have Premier 4, and so far I have not found a place where to buy ribbons for it...

Heavily infected with typewriter aquisition syndrome... Please help!

22-4-2015 18:54:36  #12

No, I have not...

It's one of the reasons why I haven't cleaned it up fully yet. Apparently I have the subconscience thought that if I can't use it, it ain't worth fixin up. I thought about cutting up a regular ribbon, and then sowing the pieces together. But that would get messy and it would most likely end up in failure. But there must be a place to find a ribbon for our Smith-Premiers.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

22-4-2015 22:07:40  #13

ztyper wrote:

No, I have not...

It's one of the reasons why I haven't cleaned it up fully yet. Apparently I have the subconscience thought that if I can't use it, it ain't worth fixin up. I thought about cutting up a regular ribbon, and then sowing the pieces together. But that would get messy and it would most likely end up in failure. But there must be a place to find a ribbon for our Smith-Premiers.

I have thought about two options:

- Bying a nylon band correct size, and manually inking it
- Another solution wouod be to use two sheets and copying paper - at least the text would be visible on the second page

I also believe some of the current ribbon producers could create custom size ribbons on request, I will try to contact them.

Your machine currently has  a ribbon it - if it is not broken you could try to reink it or use wd-40 to make it at least partially usable. I have also preordered one cheap, old machine in a very bad shape, for spare parts, and to get a ribbon from it

Last edited by Adventurer (23-4-2015 22:11:11)

23-4-2015 20:40:14  #14

I tried re-inking the ribbon, but it came out all splotchy and the ribbon tore whenever a hammer it it. I didn't thin about the carbon paper idea, and I have to admit it is a brilliant idea. I think I might use that until I can find a ribbon.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-4-2015 22:13:36  #15

Currently trying to contact several ribbon makers to ask for custom size ribbons. One already declined, but there are two more I'm waiting a reply from. I hope at least one of them will agree...

24-4-2015 09:42:26  #16

Have you tried scantracker.com? They sell ribbons.  Even if your particular machine isn't listed on their site, you can try contacting them to see if they sell what you need?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

24-4-2015 10:28:21  #17

I guess you can finally start restoring your machine. Here is the reply I received today from Mr Typewriter:

"I can make up inch and three eights cotton thirty yards which should be enough for five or six ribbons when cut and rewound on your old spools. Will cut my self to about ten or so and wind on a cord you can take off of and store. As they or fresh if kept cool you could have a three to five year shelf life. $50.00 total for labor and cotton inked with about $7.50 postage. Check up front and it will take about ten days as it is not something I do every day. "

Last edited by Adventurer (24-4-2015 22:39:22)

Board footera