You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-4-2015 13:03:33  #1

Next machine, next issue, this time: Japy Personelle, shift mechanism

Hi guys,
I got this very nice Japy today, apart from a lot of eraser debris and loose dust not much dirt to worry about. Hardly any grease or lubricant  visible, actually rather: none at all.

Everything single feature and mechanism seems to work allright. Only that the machine as a whole does not work, because the carriage lift system is dead, frozen in over-lifted position, about a quarter of an inch further to the back (and probably also a bit higher than it should be. Doesn't move the tiniest fraction of an inch. The shift keys and their levers are fine and working. I was able to compare with a Tower Collegiate, which is absolutely identical. The carriage itself moves properly, the escapement works - only that due to the position of the carriage the linkage won't reach far enough to operate it when pressing any key. Backspace works.

I am wondering what the reason could be: frozen joints and linkage - maybe corroded, but cannot really see corrosion, neither dirt or grease; alignment, some sort of securing, screws fixed in the wrong position; or, worst case something might have jumped during transport. The machine was in its original soft case, padded as I had instructed the vendor, but the softcase came in a cardbord box that so-so fitted horizontally, but it was not padded or secured with anything around it. It might well have moved around in that box. The ribbon vibrator has come off, but I think I can fix that.

I'd be ever so happy for any suggestion how to fix this, or forget ... I hope very much that this is fixable.
Thanks!

24-4-2015 22:44:53  #2

Re: Next machine, next issue, this time: Japy Personelle, shift mechanism

I've encountered several machines with frozen shift mechanisms, but they were either obviously corroded, or showed other tell-tale signs of years, and years, of disuse, so I doubt that's the problem with your Japy. More likely, as you suggested, the carriage suffered a hard knock and has somehow jammed itself in the shift postion. I would remove the machine's case and carefully examine all the linkages and look for anything that might be bent.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-4-2015 00:13:23  #3

Thank you! I already have stripped the Japy, but cannot see anything wrong. Cannot see too much though, it's really small and packed inside. I am thinkng of taking off the entire carriage with its rails to be able to see what happens underneath ... things can't get worse anyway. I will probably strip the Tower too, first, in order to be able to compare better. On top of everything, this was my first machine with a french keyboard. Sigh.

25-4-2015 08:22:04  #4

Well, good luck! I only have one machine with a French keyboard, and I plan to keep it that way. Trying to type with an AZERTY was an exercise in futility for me... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-4-2015 00:19:17  #5

Good and bad news: By chance, I got another Japy Personelle, this one with a German keyboard. That one is fully working, a little dusty, no debris whatever, no grime. Only, sigh again, with a damage on the front frame, from falling, I guess, which led to the space bar just not having enough space to go down.
After meticoulosly comparing the two, I still could not figure out the shift mechanism problem with the first. So I decided to abandon it, at least for the time being and put the body of the first one on to the second one, so that at least this one would be working. And it is. Double easy and fast typer! I also put the back bottom cover from the first on to the second, because it shows less signs of usage - and in doing so I noticed that it is bent. Very slightly, but bent. So I guess this machine has suffered a shock, too, which might have led to the dislocation of the carriage. I  think that this has not happened during transport, as, despite only being in a soft bag half-loosely set in a cardboard box, the machine itself was attached to the bottom plate, and the soft case was padded with newspaper inside. No chance to bounce around. 
In the image, you can see the difference in the position of the carriages. The left one is the frozen one, the right one  is in regular up postion.

Board footera