You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-4-2015 18:03:36  #221

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome to the forums. I'm new here too. I also have an iPad2, and have enjoyed using HanxWriter, but nothing beats the feel of a good typewriter. That Lettera 32 sounds very nice. And it also seems that the typewriter collecting bug is very infective.

I'm rather selective now when I see a machine for sale in a thrift store, knowing that, unless it has minor issues I can fix myself, repairs via a shop can get pricey, and take some time, depending on their backlog. I have nine in my collection so far, and they're all for using, not just for display. Over the years, I've learned to do minor repairs, cleaning, degreasing and lubing. Lots of resources for help here.

Good luck with your typewriter collecting and using.

~Joe

21-4-2015 17:24:02  #222

JoeV wrote:

Welcome to the forums. I'm new here too. I also have an iPad2, and have enjoyed using HanxWriter, but nothing beats the feel of a good typewriter. That Lettera 32 sounds very nice. And it also seems that the typewriter collecting bug is very infective.

I'm rather selective now when I see a machine for sale in a thrift store, knowing that, unless it has minor issues I can fix myself, repairs via a shop can get pricey, and take some time, depending on their backlog. I have nine in my collection so far, and they're all for using, not just for display. Over the years, I've learned to do minor repairs, cleaning, degreasing and lubing. Lots of resources for help here.

Good luck with your typewriter collecting and using.

~Joe

Thanks Joe... the typewriting bug is indeed infective. And, they really should be used and used often, not only for display purposes. They seem to work best when used hard. I will have to learn to do my own maintenence too. How did you learn?

29-4-2015 15:25:04  #223

Hi, new to everything typewriter related.. I've always been sort of fascinated with them but only just decided I wanted one recently. I did buy one, though I had to go pretty cheap, and I sorta wish I didn't cause it's not going to well! Hoping I can figure stuff out though and ever since I've been researching them I've kinda been wanting every other one I've seen..

01-5-2015 05:13:12  #224

Hi wbbl, that pretty much sounds familiar! The research is an integral part of it, and trying out different machines to see what you like. It's like buying computers - easy once you know what's what and what you're looking for in a machine.

So what kind of typewriter did you buy? And what's not going well? 

By the way, also - some of the best typewriters are the ones you get cheap! It's just about knowing the good machines and researching the prices - there's a big thread on that over in type Talk...

01-5-2015 15:52:29  #225

Hey thanks for the welcome! It's an Olympia SM2, although it looks a little different from most of them (because it's a little older, I gather). It looks super cute and I'd really like to get it working but boy am I out of my depth!

Got issues with the carriage, actually found the forum here when I was trying to find places to look for help! Made a post over in the maintenance/repairs board.. But the carriage just jumps to the left no matter what.. Tried adjusting the.. toothed rail thing (can you tell I'm new to this? ) but no luck there.. Heard that it might be a write-off but I'm hoping it's not so!

02-5-2015 18:36:22  #226

Hmm... 'Issues with the carriage'... not sounding great. I have a few of those - including a lovely-looking SM5 that arrived broken on Christmas Eve. :/

04-5-2015 01:07:24  #227

Hi there!

My name is SpokaneNostalgia.

My interest in typewriters started with an arbitrary decision to buy a Royal Futura portable in 2010. I don't know why I bought it but I did.

I sold that same typewriter about this time last year and it was -the- worst mistake I could have made in regards to the typewriters.

But, I bought a Royal Quiet Deluxe yesterday and apart from nerves about learning its quirks, I'm pretty darn happy.

Right now I'm limiting myself to one usable typewriter, but eventually I'll expand into collecting.

Nice to meet you all. I'm looking forward to our talks.

"[...] modern writing does not consist in picking out words for the sake of their meaning and inventing images to make the meaning clearer. It consists in gumming together long strips of words that have already been set in order by someone else, and making the results presentable by sheer humbug." - George Orwell

04-5-2015 13:10:17  #228

Shame about losing the Futura, I love that model! 

Welcome to TT - we're  glad to have you here and will be looking forward to you sharing information on your Quiet De Luxe, which of course is a very nice machine too.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2015 14:19:59  #229

I happened to come across online forum/bbs by chance.  I too am a typewriter enthusiast.  From an very early age (seven years old) I have been using typewriters.  Even though we had a computer in the house, I still typed my high school papers on a typewriter.

Although I have two Smith Corona electronic typewriters, my preference is the IBM Selectric III of which I have two of.  One is from 1980, the other from about 1981 with the 96 character keyboard.  Both are the IBM blue.  I have been learning a lot about these machines and have repaired a couple of them.

I am in Maine.

12-5-2015 14:23:18  #230

Hello typewriterguru!  There seem to be more and more Selectric collectors. Selec-tors? Welcome to the board

Board footera