You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-3-2013 11:02:09  #1

How many Underwood three-banks?

How many different designs of Underwood three-bank portable are there, and how interchangable are their parts (if at all)? I was wondering if some elements, such as platens, were common across the whole range.

16-3-2013 12:38:26  #2

Re: How many Underwood three-banks?

Stevetype33 wrote:

how interchangable are their parts (if at all)?

That's an excellent question because it leads to the bigger picture of parts sourcing. 

I have little experience with Underwoods, so unfortunately I can't answer your specific question; however, when I first started poking around the insides of the typewriters I was buying I was struck with a strong feeling of déjà vu. I was recognising components and individual parts that appeared to be identical between the various models produced by the same company.

Of course it makes sense that a typewriter company, or any other manufacturer, wouldn't necessarily reinvent the wheel with every new model release, so I really shouldn't have been surprised by my discovery. 

I'd be surprised if there weren't some - if not a lot - of parts that were carried over from one Underwood model to the next. Perhaps the ultimate resource for a typewriter collector would be a parts compatibility chart for each brand and model. It's a pie in the sky idea, but could you imagine being able to look up a specific part that you need and then know that part could come out of any number of different donor machines?

Is this what you're trying to do, replace a part from one Underwood model by hopefully finding it on another?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-3-2013 15:41:56  #3

I recently bought a 1920s Underwood three-bank (it's not arrived yet) that will need a new platen. I was looking into getting the original re-covered, but the cost is too high to justify it. An alternative is to canablise another machine and I was wondering what sort of choice I had: any Underwood of the same period, or the exact same model?

The third choice is to try and source some rubber hose of the right size and re-cover the platen myself.

16-3-2013 15:52:32  #4

Stevetype33 wrote:

The third choice is to try and source some rubber hose of the right size and re-cover the platen myself.

I've read that heat-shrink tubing is also an option. The rollers in an Underwood that I recently bought are completely shot and consequently it won't grab a sheet of paper, so I've been thinking about trying out this method.

Please keep us posted, especially if you try recovering it yourself as I'm really curious as to how well that works. I've been very lucky so far to not need a platen, but I'm sure the day will eventually come.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-3-2013 14:47:19  #5

I have a similar problem with the three rollers on my Barlet Model 2. I've sourced a number of more-or-less similar diameter rubber-hose lengths from a UK company, but have yet to try them out.

17-3-2013 15:50:04  #6

A number of Underwood four-bank machine variations were made, but as for Underwood three banks, I think there was only one basic design. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

Board footera