You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-4-2015 23:48:59  #1

Type slug out of alignment

The letter b/B is out of alignment on my Smith-Corona Skyriter.  Here is a picture of the type at rest with the b/B slug poking up:

When I pull b/B and its neighbor up together, you can see that the b/B type slug is tilted forward:

Is this something that can be corrected with gentle bending or do I need to use a blowtorch in this case?

30-4-2015 00:30:42  #2

Re: Type slug out of alignment

Mech wrote:

Is this something that can be corrected with gentle bending or do I need to use a blowtorch in this case?

Hard to tell from the photo, but I would try bending it gradually and gently while making sure to support the typebar with another tool just below the slug to isolate the force you'll be exerting on it. If there is an issue with the solder joint being broken then you'll obviously have to resort to using a torch. Good luck...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-5-2015 10:10:47  #3

I supported the typebar with needle nose pliers and attempted to bend the slug into position with my fingers and then with another pair of pliers, but it wasn't budging. My neighbor is a custom knife hobbyist with a well-stocked workshop. He is well-versed in metal working and probably has just the right tools. I will pay his workshop a visit and report back.

02-5-2015 23:53:12  #4

Update: my neighbor with the well-stocked workshop easily bent the slug back into position, supporting the typebar just below the slug with a small clamp. The B/b now prints.  It's still a tiny bit misaligned, but I think I'll keep it that way because I like its eccentric character:

Board footera