You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2013 13:53:28  #1

Platen replacement: Heat-shrink tubing

There are some other threads on platen-replacement elsewhere, but I figured this one would sit best in 'Repairs'.

Came across this post about the use of heat-shrink tubing to replace a platen. It looks impressive. I'd heard of this kind of tubing, but never gave it much thought before.


12-4-2013 15:58:48  #2

Re: Platen replacement: Heat-shrink tubing

Very impressive, I must say! I have heard of people using this method, but only for feed-rollers. It looks like it works extremely well. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

10-8-2014 09:19:40  #3

Re: Platen replacement: Heat-shrink tubing

I have reservations about using Heat Shrink Tubing for such applications; I'm very familiar with those product having used them for years in electronics.  Nothing terrible, but upon returning to room temperature it's surface will be smooth; perhaps too smooth for the proper traction needed to help feed paper.  Further, it may be too firm for uniform typing impacts.
What I will suggest is contacting a company (with just one google search I've found four different outfits) that resurfaces "pinch"  or "capstan" rollers.  Though past their prime, such drive mechanisms are still used in industry for video and audio tape recording, film and scientific recorders.
I've had such work done at a former employer only several years ago and price was about $20, but that's not a typewriter platen.  The surface was excellent, cleanable and of course seamless.  Even if the company you contact cannot resurface a platen he will know what you're trying to achieve and maybe point you to some one who can.
Good Luck,


15-8-2014 21:29:17  #4

Re: Platen replacement: Heat-shrink tubing

This method is an alternative to having a platen recovered. In the US, the only company I'm aware of that recovers platens and feed rollers is JJ Short. Just google them. Typewriter platens normally cost about $7.00 per inch to recover plus shipping both ways, so this is a cheaper alternative and would work just fine for a machine that isn't used much.


Board footera


Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum