You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-5-2015 08:43:38  #1

Powdercoating

Looking for information on having a typewriter powdercoated. Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!

06-5-2015 10:38:36  #2

Re: Powdercoating

Could you be a little more specific? Are you looking for powder coaters in your area? Or what prep work the case of the typewriters needs prior to being powder coated? I assume it's the case that you're talking about and not literally the entire typewriter? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-5-2015 10:48:48  #3

Hi Thanks for the reply! I have  a SCM Classis 12 that I would like to re-do the case in Seahawks lime green. I have never had anything powdercoated, would assume the paint would need to be removed...There are several powdercoating companies in my area. Just curious if anyone has had a similar item done and if the results were worth the cost vs repainting.

06-5-2015 12:06:00  #4

It would be best to contact a couple of the companies in your area as preparation is often something included in the price. I haven't had a typewriter case powder coated, not because I don't like the idea, but because I've never wanted to spend that kind of money on a machine. Even re-plating is a costly exercise; for example, to have individual nickel key trims re-plated is $6 a piece (in my area), which means a 42-key keyboard would run $252, and that's before you've even addressed all of the machine's control levers or trim pieces on the case.

I could see investing several hundred dollars in restoring a machine that had significant importance, whether it was sentimental or because the model was truly rare, but to spend that kind of money on a run-of-the-mill typewriter doesn't make sense to me, not when you could buy many typewriters for the price.

If you do go the powerder coating route I hope you document the process well and provide us with some before and after photos. I would consider it to be a far more desirable finish than paint, but is it worth the extra cost? That would depend on the typewriter and the importance it holds for you.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-5-2015 12:09:49  #5

Thanks for the info. I agree, this machine is not really worth putting a bunch of money into. 

Board footera