You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2015 01:10:25  #1

My New Royal Quiet De Luxe.

Not that the board needs another Royal post! Haha. 

But seriously, last Saturday I picked up a new portable. I had sold my Futura about a year ago...big mistake. Turns out I'd become quite attached to that thing. 

So...here's the new girl. She doesn't have a name yet. 

And a typing sample.

I spent some time with it yesterday and was surprised to find it needed a very light, abeit consistent, press of the keys. The previous owner had also gotten an amazing amount of eraser shavings in the type basket. 

But, it's all good. It's proving to be a fun machine. However, sloppy technique is leading to carriage skipping (a new issue for me) so I'm really gonna have to tone myself down while using it.

"[...] modern writing does not consist in picking out words for the sake of their meaning and inventing images to make the meaning clearer. It consists in gumming together long strips of words that have already been set in order by someone else, and making the results presentable by sheer humbug." - George Orwell

07-5-2015 06:05:36  #2

Re: My New Royal Quiet De Luxe.

Nice!  I've got a Royal Safari that skips sometimes if I type too enthusiastically.  I'm not sure if it's the machine or my typing style.  I love my Royal Quiet Deluxe.  In fact, I decided yesterday that it's my favorite typer so far in my (admittedly small) collection.

So, what do you name your typewriters?  Ivd never thought to name them.  Every lab I've ever worked in, we name the expensive machinery, usually in a theme.  Like in the last lab all the -80 freezers were named after characters in Lord of the Rings, and all the PCR machines were named after Simpsons characters. Nothing else in my life has a name right now, except my car.  Her name is Sookie,

Last edited by Spazmelda (07-5-2015 06:08:52)

07-5-2015 06:26:59  #3

Heh. I've never thought to name my typewriters. I bought a Royal Quiet De Luxe months ago dfrom omeone in Edinburgh, but my Edinburgh friend who picked it up for me has not yet been down here - I am living in anticipation... you can bet that nce it arrives there'll be another Royal post! This one looks lovely.

And I so get the thing about carriage skipping. My Lettera 22 does that, and I do try to tone it down... Then again, the Hermes 3000 works best for me on the lightest setting and never even thinks of skipping. Does this machine have touch control?

07-5-2015 15:10:19  #4

Nice Quiet De Luxe; you can never have enough of them around, which thankfully there are as they are (were) a very popular machine. 

I've named a small number of my machines, but only because of some obvious association they have or to remind me of their specific history.

Spazmelda wrote:

I've got a Royal Safari that skips sometimes if I type too enthusiastically.

A good cleaning, possibly adjustment, of the escapement should cure that.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-5-2015 15:25:17  #5

KatLondon wrote:

And I so get the thing about carriage skipping. My Lettera 22 does that, and I do try to tone it down... Then again, the Hermes 3000 works best for me on the lightest setting and never even thinks of skipping. Does this machine have touch control?

Also sounds like an escapement issue. The Lettera 22 should type well without skipping, so it's not an indication that the 3000 is  better machine, just that it's one in better condition (maintenance).

Were you asking about touch control on the 3000, or the OP's machine?

Touch "regulator" on the 3000:

And on the Quiet De Luxe:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-5-2015 15:57:42  #6

Naming things isn't too weird now... I have named both of my Royal standards though. The 440 is Sasha and my KMG is Natasha. They're both Team Fortress 2 inside jokes with my brother, and I haven't named any others yet because I want to stick with the theme.

And Royal portables are always fun to use. I always enjoy typing on them and can whenever I have the chance.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

07-5-2015 16:33:48  #7

Spazmelda wrote:

I've got a Royal Safari that skips sometimes if I type too enthusiastically.

A good cleaning, possibly adjustment, of the escapement should cure that.

Thanks Uwe. I've cleaned it pretty well and done a little oiling, but haven't attempted to adjust anything yet.  It's not too bad, just skips maybe once in a page if I'm not paying attention and get to going too fast.  I'll have to sit down with it when I'm in a tinkering frame of mind.

07-5-2015 19:06:59  #8

Uwe beat me to it. Lol. Been playing with the touch control, I'm just rough on keyboards.

As far as names go, there's never a theme. The names just have to come. For example, looking at her, I think the new girl is something along the lines of Delilah or something Southern Belle-ish. But I need to spend more time with her first.

Anybody else notice the Quiet Deluxe is an easy typer? Or is it just me?

Last edited by SpokaneNostalgia (07-5-2015 19:07:35)

"[...] modern writing does not consist in picking out words for the sake of their meaning and inventing images to make the meaning clearer. It consists in gumming together long strips of words that have already been set in order by someone else, and making the results presentable by sheer humbug." - George Orwell

07-5-2015 19:31:13  #9

Mine is also a very easy typer.  Just smooth, like buttah.  Mine also has the glass tombstone keys which I find to be gorgeous both in looks and touch.

07-5-2015 21:36:59  #10

I like mine also.  I find it to be the easiest of my manual typewriters to use.  I never thought of naming my typewriters either.  I have named my car.  One of my coworkers thought I should do that.  My car is named Raven, after the Teen Titan character.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera