You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-4-2013 07:33:30  #1

Cursive fonts

Being new, I've just seen a wonderful page of type in cursive typeface.  My question is, were particular manufacturers known for producing cursive machines, was it something that most manufacturers offered as a speciality, and are they hard to find.  Thinking of putting one at the position 2 on my wish list, so gathering information.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
beak.

13-4-2013 08:24:20  #2

Re: Cursive fonts

I can't answer your questions, but I have often wondered what caused manufacturers to produce such machines. Surely they couldn't be very practical in everyday typing? 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

13-4-2013 09:01:09  #3

Shangas wrote:

I can't answer your questions, but I have often wondered what caused manufacturers to produce such machines. Surely they couldn't be very practical in everyday typing? 

I guess it's personal preference - I like the idea; softens the look and seems to be a bit more appropriate in some contexts.  But not all, by any means; you'd certainly want a 'straight ' typer too (or three).

Last edited by beak (13-4-2013 09:01:37)

Sincerely,
beak.

13-4-2013 10:04:50  #4

Perhaps they were produced for the more 'genteel' side of the market; the home typers who didn't want their personal letters to friends and family to look too official. 

I can also see them being used in some upmarket retail stores to type out labels, or in hotels and restaurants for printing menus etc.

15-4-2013 04:29:35  #5

Of the 48 typewriters I've bought over the last 3 years only 2 of them had cursive script typebar slugs and they were both Adler Tippas (often badged as Grundig or Triumph Adler). I sold one (Tippa S) and kept the other because the type is, as has been suggested, so appealing.

16-4-2013 13:15:45  #6

I'm sure I once saw a 1930s/40s Royal that had a very Art Deco sans-serif typeface. Or perhaps I just dreamt it...

Nope. Found it: http://cambridgetypewriter.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/rare-art-deco-typestyle.html

Board footera