You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-5-2015 19:28:33  #1

Do serial numbers increase the value of a typewriter?

Sorry if this isnt the right place.

I have a Smith Corona Skywriter from 1950, and its serial number is in the early 9000s. Does this increase its value? Or does it just make it cooler?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-5-2015 14:49:42  #2

Re: Do serial numbers increase the value of a typewriter?

Maybe if you had an example of one of the first or last few models made, or a serial number that confirmed a provenance of extreme interest, but generally speaking serial numbers that might otherwise might be cool for the owner don't increase a machine's value. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-5-2015 18:25:35  #3

Ok thanks. Its not like a repeating number (9999), its just low considering they made a million or more.

Back from a long break.

11-5-2015 22:56:18  #4

Well, there were actually less than 350,000 of the 2Y models produced. And less than 300,000 of the 3Y. I'm not sure how many of the third generation Skyriter models were made because things got a little weird with the Skyriter name after Smith-Corona bought British Typewriters and some of the machines were branded as Empire instead for a short while.

Something else worth considering: Your Skyriter, despite its relatively low serial number, isn't even a first production year model. I think for it to have any extra value at all it would have to at least be a 1949 model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2015 05:13:12  #5

It missed 1949 bylike 100-200. By a million I meant alot.

About the empire part, wow! I was wondering why the empire machines looked almost exact to the skywriter.

Back from a long break.

Board footera