You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-5-2015 19:38:07  #1

Early Underwood electric

I have not the slightest clue to what this thing does.
maybe a way automaticly feed paper?
Saw it on CL.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/5022521261.html

My blog - Just Typewriters

13-5-2015 21:02:04  #2

Re: Early Underwood electric

Hmmm.

Last edited by M. Höhne (13-5-2015 22:51:18)

13-5-2015 21:10:51  #3

mre12ax7 wrote:

I have not the slightest clue to what this thing does.

Wow, if I was anywhere near Columbus I'd be buying that Underwood 3 immediately. In fact, it's the most exciting machine I've ever seen in a CL ad. Too bad there aren't better pictures of it, but my guess is that it has a motor-driven platen controlled by the lever on the left side of the keyboard. Why? Well, most likely it was used as a telegram machine that pulled paper off of a large roll and by having a platen that could be advanced without a typist's hands having to leave the keyboard must have sped up things. 

I'd love to buy it; hmmm, I wonder if the seller would ship it? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-5-2015 21:34:40  #4

You are right
I Probably should buy it 

28-5-2015 05:45:13  #5

Have a picture online? The ad is deleted now. I would love to see it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-5-2015 07:03:44  #6

The folks at Brumfield typewriter bought it
it is on thier FB page
Apperently it is a radio mill

28-5-2015 09:39:22  #7

I'm glad it's in the hands of a collector. I hope they post it to the Typewriter Database.

28-5-2015 12:38:15  #8

mre12ax7 wrote:

it is on thier FB page
Apperently it is a radio mill

I don't use FB, so maybe you know what makes them think it's a radio mill as opposed to a telegram machine? All of the spool-fed radio mills I've seen used manual line space levers, so I'm really curious about their claim.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-9-2015 10:35:42  #9

Nice

06-7-2016 19:55:06  #10

Yes, I know this is a very old post.  I tried to look at a picture of whatever that was.  There wasn't a picture on that site anymore.  And something was mentioned about an automatic paper feeder.  But what struck my curiosity is the title--early Underwood electric.  Was someone wondering about one?  Does someone own one and would like to show it off?  Well, here's where I throw my coins in the fountain:  The earliest Underwrood electric I know of was the SX-80 of 1947.  It was a big, mean hoss of a typewriter.  It was not very graceful, as it skittered to the side about two inches each time one of the huge return bars on either side of the keyboard was pressed.  But it was a good printer.  I just happen to have such a typewriter, but it fell out of repair.  I used it a very long time ago in college.  I bought it at the flea market in 1988 for $12.00.  I am going to see if I can whup it back into shape and paint it up.  I will tell you it is a very interesting machine--one that borrows a lot of its technology from the Remington and Underwood Noiseless typewriters, although it's far from being a noiseless machine itself.  They made 'em this way well into the 1950s.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

Board footera