You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2013 03:18:37  #1

Help! Buy this or not?

Been looking for the perfect portable for use, and have heard nothing but glowing reports of this Alpina,and this unit appears to be in excellent working condition.  It will cost me about 130 AUD (about 150USD) shipped from Germany.  

What do you think - go for it, or wait in hope of finding one is Australia so that I don't have to pay the shipping.  What's this worth, do we think?  Any opinions welcome.

Last edited by beak (12-4-2013 05:38:04)

Sincerely,
beak.

12-4-2013 07:11:04  #2

Re: Help! Buy this or not?

If my experience is anything, European typewriters are rare in Australia. We have a few, but mostly I've seen American machines. 

Is that the ONLY photograph of the machine? If it is, I'd pass. I never buy anything online unless I can have a damn good look at EVERY part of it. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

12-4-2013 13:32:06  #3

A good-looking machine. And I like the name.

When I buy a new typewriter, I always bear its likely re-sale value in mind (it makes me feel less guilty!) If you got tired of it for any reason, and put it up for sale, how much do you think you'd get for it? That might help you calculate your real likely expenditure.

Have you any idea of the seller's track-record? Is he/she likely to package it properly?

All things considered, I'd be tempted to go for it. My only real regrets have been the ones that got away...

12-4-2013 21:17:40  #4

If looks count for anything (let's face it -- with typewriters looks count) I'd go for it! Looks like it comes with a fantastic case, too. Of course, always check the seller's rating if possible. I'm just slightly suspicious of a black and white photo, but maybe they were trying to play up the retro look.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

12-4-2013 23:12:55  #5

It ain't black and white. That's what it actually looks like! Here's a different photo of the same model: 

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

13-4-2013 10:15:59  #6

Is it just a perspective thing, or is that carriage return lever enormous? First-rate machine.

13-4-2013 13:12:07  #7

I bought such a model some years ago for 5 euro on ebay.de
http://schrijfmachine.blogspot.nl/2007/03/nieuwe-aanwinsten.html

They are excelent machines, but shipment costs to Australia are not in proportion with the worth of this machine.

13-4-2013 16:48:09  #8

Thank god I'm not the one buying it! 

Beak if it was me, I'd pass and search for something better. 

The chances of finding one in Australia are not high. But on the other hand, as Frank says, it may not be "worth it", to have it shipped over. 

14-4-2013 15:26:48  #9

Beak, I've been mooching around on-line and this machine does seem way over-priced. Your best bet might be to keep an eye on the German eBay site and look for sellers who will ship to Oz.

Board footera