You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-4-2015 09:47:58  #1

Changed my first ribbon today!

Today, I finally got around to removing the ribbon that worked, but one of my cats had gotten a claw and/or tooth into.  So, I finally got the ribbon off the little calculator spool and onto the typewriter spool.  When I went to test it, at first it seemed to work, but then the type was getting lighter and lighter.

Upon opening the top of the machine, the ribbon wasn't being pulled onto the other spool.  Upon checking a manual for another Royal, it suggested moving the reverse lever to the other position.  Once I did this, it worked just fine.   

After I did some test typing, my concern will be how to keep the cat out of the typewriter when I am away.  For now, I emptied a bin and covered the typewriter with it.  It didn't quite cover, but I was able to stretch it a little and put my portable (in its case) on top of the bin to give it enough weight to keep the cat in question out!

I know that the cat is only being curious, but it is a hassle.  Oh well.  Time to get my laundry done at the laundromat.  Hope this bin solution works while I am gone.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-4-2015 13:43:45  #2

Re: Changed my first ribbon today!

Congratulations!

I don't know how handy you are, but there's a few discussions on here about making covers.  There's one idea To make a plexiglass box to cover, kind of like a museum display, almost.

I've gotten some clear plasticy stuff at Joann's and I'm going to attempt to sew a cover for my Woodstock.  Right now my craft room is in shambles because we've had the entire downstairs repainted, but once I get it back together I'm going to try to sew a clear flexible cover.  I can imagine with something like that, you could even put some elastic in the bottom so that it would fit tightly to the typewriter and keep even a determined kitty out. The clear flexibe plastic was very inexpensive, I think about $2/yard and 48" wide.

19-4-2015 14:05:31  #3

It depends.  I've never really been called "handy", but I did fix up and paint a small bench on my porch last October.  I have a cover that was with my Remington and he managed to get under it when I used it to cover a typewriter.  It doesn't have any elastic on it.  I am thinking more of a hard cover than a soft one.  What I really need is a place to close the door when I'm not using this typewriter.

19-4-2015 18:02:06  #4

Which model are we talking about? If it's a portable you could always either just leave it in its travel case, or just use the travel case lid to cover it. If it's a standard you can buy generic typewriter covers still; there's another thread (topic) here somewhere with links to a vendor.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-4-2015 19:11:09  #5

The model which does not have a case is my Royal FP.  My other option will be to remove the ribbon from the machine prior to leaving the house for any period of time or just between uses.

20-4-2015 10:15:13  #6

I'd invest in a soft cover for the machine instead of dealing with the ribbon every time you're not using it. Cat fur is not something that you want in a typewriter anyway, nor the inevitable scratch marks from the cats claws as it climbs on the machine. And even if you don't want to buy a proper cover, I'm sure you could come up with some other creative solution like a draping a decorative pillow case over it. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-5-2015 13:17:55  #7

My creative solution was to put an empty plastic bin over the machine.  When I was using it last night, he got up on the bin and watched after getting a paw and/or his nose smacked with a key while I was typing.  I do have a new way to get his attention.  All I have to do is touch a typewriter keyboard and he is instantly there to see what I am doing.  It helps when trying to give him his Revolution. 

Board footera